Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Windows Updates

by auggief / September 15, 2006 12:17 AM PDT

Select High-Priority Updates
To help protect your computer against security threats and performance problems, we strongly recommend you install all high-priority updates.

Restore and Check Again Only selected updates will appear the next time you check for updates.

Review and install updates Total: 10 updates , 0 KB , 0 minutes *
(*Downloaded; ready to install)

It show's 0 KB for each update. I have tried 4 times and failed. Am I getting a bad download?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Updates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Auggie, if you
by roddy32 / September 15, 2006 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows Updates

can list off the KB numbers, I will try to find you the regular downloads for each. It's time consuming but should at least get you caught up.

Collapse -
Here it is
by auggief / September 15, 2006 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Auggie, if you

KB 920821
KB 921567
KB 918420
KB 914796
KB 917153
Kb 917347
KB 917347
KB 913471
KB 905649
KB 911701
Roddy all but one have to do with Office Xp Professional. I keep getting the yellow icon on the task bar and when I try they fall fail.

Collapse -
Roddy More
by auggief / September 15, 2006 5:07 AM PDT

I forgot to mention that even though I made a point of reinstalling Windows Installer I can't find it in my computer in Add/remove or My programs.

Collapse -
Auggie, you need that
by roddy32 / September 15, 2006 8:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Roddy More

On my computer it is listed in add/remove directly below Windows Defender and directly above all the Windows Updates hotfixes. If it isn't there, check this Microsoft link and see if it helps at all. It is for failed installation on the Windows Intaller. Just make sure you read the part for your OS

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893803

Collapse -
No Luck
by auggief / September 15, 2006 2:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Auggie, you need that

The only thing I had there was Windows Installer Clean up program/ Nothing for Windows installer. I went ahead and uninstalled the cleanup program and then d/l and installed Windows Installer from the link you provided. It still doesn't appear in Add remove and I still can't update.
Also Does Microsoft NET Framework 2.0 have anything to do with this?

Collapse -
Auggie, If They're Office Updates...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 15, 2006 9:53 AM PDT

Have you tried installing them from the Office Update site.. Click on the link below, then click on the "Check For Updates" link in the upper middle section of the page.. Your computer will be scanned by the Office Updates scanner and you can then install the updates from there.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/officeupdate/default.aspx

Once the needed updates are detected by the scan, click on the "Install" button and another window will load. Leave the selection at the default, then click on "OK" at the bottom of the window.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Got this
by auggief / September 15, 2006 1:58 PM PDT

Office Update is unable to check for updates Help

The Office Update site is unable to check for updates on this computer. This may be happening because of one of the following reasons:

You do not have administrative privileges for this computer. (YES I DO)
There is a network problem and the detection catalog used by the Office Update site failed to download. Go back to the Downloads home page and try running detection again.
Windows Installer patch files (.MSP files) from previously applied Office updates are missing from the \Windows\Installer hidden directory on your computer. MSP files are stored on your computer after update installation completes because they need to be referenced for future update operations. If the files are missing you will not be able to apply Office updates. You may also be unable to uninstall Office products as a result of the same problem. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for assistance.
You installed Office updates in the past and then upgraded from Windows Installer version 1.0 to Windows Installer version 1.1. For more information see the KB article Windows Installer May Prompt for Install Source if Unavailable.

Search for Office updates in the Download Catalog

Collapse -
Now after trying Wndows update I got this
by auggief / September 15, 2006 6:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Got this

[Error number: 0x800A0046]
Please change your Internet Explorer security settings
To save changes to your settings for this website, you need to enable userdata persistence for Internet Explorer. Complete the steps below, and then click Change settings to the left and try saving your changes again.
In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
Click the Security tab, click the Internet security zone icon, and then click Custom Level.
In the Settings dialog box, scroll to the Miscellaneous section.
Under Userdata persistence , select Enable.
Click OK and when the security warning dialog box appears, click Yes.

Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number 0x800A0046) yourself.

USER PERSISTENCE WAS ENABLED.

Collapse -
More
by auggief / September 15, 2006 8:59 PM PDT

Decided to run sfc /scannow. It went into scandisc and came up with many files with the notation "TIME STAMP ERROR" which it corrected all files. This caused me to check my clock on the task bar which had the right time but the date was Wednesday Sept 16 2050 which I changed to Saturday September 16 2006. I went into bios to be sure time and date were correct.
I then ran Microsoft Baseline Analyzer and it says that Automatic Updates are not turned on. I went into control panel and it was checked to run????

I then went into administrative Tools/services but Automatic Update shows nothing under startup type.
I then ran my back up CD auto streamer(XP SP2) but this didn't help.
I have also seen messages that I need to be administrator to run updates but I am????
How do I get automaic update working on my computer?

Collapse -
Sorry here is more
by auggief / September 15, 2006 9:03 PM PDT
In reply to: More

The Office Update site is unable to check for updates on this computer. This may be happening because of one of the following reasons:

You do not have administrative privileges for this computer.
There is a network problem and the detection catalog used by the Office Update site failed to download. Go back to the Downloads home page and try running detection again.
Windows Installer patch files (.MSP files) from previously applied Office updates are missing from the \Windows\Installer hidden directory on your computer. MSP files are stored on your computer after update installation completes because they need to be referenced for future update operations. If the files are missing you will not be able to apply Office updates. You may also be unable to uninstall Office products as a result of the same problem. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for assistance.
You installed Office updates in the past and then upgraded from Windows Installer version 1.0 to Windows Installer version 1.1. For more information see the KB article Windows Installer May Prompt for Install Source if Unavailable

Collapse -
Appears to be a Microsoft Problem
by auggief / September 16, 2006 6:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry here is more
Collapse -
Sorry Auggie, I wasn't around
by roddy32 / September 16, 2006 9:36 PM PDT

much yesterday. I don't think my suggestion of trying to install all these seperately is going to do you any good. There is a toll free number for Microsoft for Windows Updates problems and that may be your best idea. Unfortunately I can't find the number at the moment. Sorry.

Collapse -
No Problem
by auggief / September 17, 2006 12:07 AM PDT

They allow no charge email on update problems. I sent them my problem. At least I'm not getting any more error windows. It will let me scan and show the updates available and will download them but will not install them. Installation fails each time. I'll let you know if Microsoft gives me the solution. It's also asking me to turn on automatic updates but it's already on and with a time schedule.

Collapse -
OK Auggie. Good luck. I get an
by roddy32 / September 17, 2006 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: No Problem

occasional failure with them myself but never ALL of them and if I go back it always works the second time. I have automatic shut off.

Collapse -
Handled
by auggief / September 24, 2006 4:50 PM PDT

From Microsoft:
Step 1: Repair Office

================

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2. Click Add or Remove Programs.

3. Click the Office program that you want to repair, and then click Change.

4. In the Maintenance Mode Options dialog box, click Reinstall or Repair, and then click Next.

5. In the Reinstall or Repair Office dialog box, click Detect and Repair errors in my Office installation, and then click Install.

6. When the repair process is finished, run the update again

If the problem persists, this error usually occurs when your Office installation is corrupted. I recommend you use Windows CleanUp Utility to remove and reinstall Office.

Step 2: Reinstall Office (please confirm that you have the Office XP CD)

=================

Note: You may refer to following knowledge base article to back up your Outlook data prior to removing Office. You don't need to back up other Office documents such as Word, PowerPoint files because they are independent files stored on your hard drive.

Q287070 OL2002: How to Back Up, Restore, or Move Outlook Data

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=287070

Q312978 HOW TO: Use the Save My Settings Wizard to Back Up Settings in Office XP

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=312978

1. Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility on your desktop.

The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9/D/E9D80355-7AB4-45B8-80E8-983A48D5E1BD/msicuu2.exe

For more related information, you can refer to the following Knowledge Base (KB) article:

Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

2. After you install the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, click Start menu-> All Programs-> Windows Install Clean Up.

3. Highlight All Microsoft Office entry in the list and then click Remove. Click OK and wait for the process to end.

4. If you can see any other Office products like Office 2002, FrontPage, Publisher, etc, please click remove to uninstall them.

Note: If there isn't any Office entry exists, please continue to do step5-step12.

5. Click Exit to close the Windows Installer Cleanup utility.

6. Click Start menu-> Run, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks) in the Open box and press Enter.

7. Expand the registry tree on the left pane and locate the following two registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office

8. Right-click on this key and click Delete to delete those keys.

9. Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office.

Note: If you receive error when you delete the folder, just ignore this step. It doesn't matter.

10. Click Start menu-> Run, type "%Temp%" (without the quotation marks) in the Open box and press Enter.

11. Delete all files in the Temp folder.

Note: If you receive error when you delete files, just ignore this step. It doesn't matter.

12. Restart computer and reinstall Office.

After this, please install the update you've downloaded again.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Glad you got it fixed Auggie. :)
by roddy32 / September 24, 2006 8:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Handled
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?