Step 1: Repair Office
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Click Add or Remove Programs.
3. Click the Office program that you want to repair, and then click Change.
4. In the Maintenance Mode Options dialog box, click Reinstall or Repair, and then click Next.
5. In the Reinstall or Repair Office dialog box, click Detect and Repair errors in my Office installation, and then click Install.
6. When the repair process is finished, run the update again
If the problem persists, this error usually occurs when your Office installation is corrupted. I recommend you use Windows CleanUp Utility to remove and reinstall Office.
Step 2: Reinstall Office (please confirm that you have the Office XP CD)
Note: You may refer to following knowledge base article to back up your Outlook data prior to removing Office. You don't need to back up other Office documents such as Word, PowerPoint files because they are independent files stored on your hard drive.
Q287070 OL2002: How to Back Up, Restore, or Move Outlook Data
Q312978 HOW TO: Use the Save My Settings Wizard to Back Up Settings in Office XP
1. Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility on your desktop.
The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
For more related information, you can refer to the following Knowledge Base (KB) article:
Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
2. After you install the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, click Start menu-> All Programs-> Windows Install Clean Up.
3. Highlight All Microsoft Office entry in the list and then click Remove. Click OK and wait for the process to end.
4. If you can see any other Office products like Office 2002, FrontPage, Publisher, etc, please click remove to uninstall them.
Note: If there isn't any Office entry exists, please continue to do step5-step12.
5. Click Exit to close the Windows Installer Cleanup utility.
6. Click Start menu-> Run, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks) in the Open box and press Enter.
7. Expand the registry tree on the left pane and locate the following two registry keys:
8. Right-click on this key and click Delete to delete those keys.
9. Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office.
Note: If you receive error when you delete the folder, just ignore this step. It doesn't matter.
10. Click Start menu-> Run, type "%Temp%" (without the quotation marks) in the Open box and press Enter.
11. Delete all files in the Temp folder.
Note: If you receive error when you delete files, just ignore this step. It doesn't matter.
12. Restart computer and reinstall Office.
After this, please install the update you've downloaded again.