Windows Vista forum

Question

Windows Update Won't Work

by xxAmby / December 4, 2011 9:21 AM PST

I want to update my Garmin GPS and It says I'm missing .NET Framework 4 Client Profile and to get the most updated verison I have to update my computer with Windows Update. My Windows Update hasn't work for along time and I've tried on and off to get it to work and nothing has helped. I've found someone who can fix it but they want over $150 to fix it... I've tried quite a few ideas on the forums and nothing is working. Can anyone help me?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Update Won't Work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Update Won't Work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Troubleshoot problems with installing updates
by KenHusveg / December 4, 2011 10:15 AM PST
Collapse -
Yes...
by xxAmby / December 4, 2011 12:37 PM PST

Yes, I've tried it more than once thinking maybe I've done something wrong. Their little program that is supposed to fix it fails to work also. I've e-mailed Mircosoft and I'm waiting for an answer and I'm hoping they have a solution. I was just hoping maybe someone on here had an idea what in the world is wrong incase they can't help. The last time it said it updated was in 2009.

Collapse -
Windows Update Agent
by KenHusveg / December 4, 2011 1:41 PM PST
In reply to: Yes...

Go to the following Microsoft page. If a pop-up Microsoft Fixit box shows up close it. Scroll down to the "More Information" section. Find "How to manually obtain the latest Windows Update Agent". Read carefully and look for the best option for you to download and install the latest version of "Windows Update Agent" from your computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

Collapse -
Still not working...
by xxAmby / December 5, 2011 12:22 AM PST
In reply to: Windows Update Agent

So I tried to download that and it gave me the error 0x70080020. This is so annoying. I have a HP Pavilion dv9000 if that helps... Windows Vista and its 3 years old. Everything else works, just not that.

Collapse -
Which download did you select?
by KenHusveg / December 5, 2011 4:59 AM PST
In reply to: Still not working...

When you scrolled down to,
"Step 2: Download Windows Update Agent for Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and Windows 2000 Service Pack 4"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

which download did you select?

For an x86-based computer (for 32-bit)
or
For an x64-based computer (for 64-bit)

Collapse -
I selected...
by xxAmby / December 5, 2011 9:46 AM PST

I selected the x64-based computer cause thats what I have. Maybe I got an update that I need to uninstall and maybe it will work again? I have Norton and even turned it completely off and tried and still no luck.

Collapse -
Please Try These Steps
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 6, 2011 12:01 AM PST
In reply to: I selected...

Re-register the Windows Update DLL with the commands below

Click Start, then type: then type cmd in the search box, and when it's displayed at the top of the search box, RIGHT click on cmd.exe, choose "Run as administrator" from the little menu.

When the command windows loads, type the following commands at the blinking cursor. Press ENTER after each command.

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuwebv.dll
regsvr32 wucltux.dll

Close the command window and reboot the computer. Attempt to run Windows Update at the Windows Update site.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Nope
by xxAmby / December 7, 2011 12:41 PM PST
In reply to: Please Try These Steps

I tried but didn't work. Microsoft finally got back to me and I have corrupt files... They did offer me Windows 7 for free and it would take care of my problem. Heh. I don't really like or want Windows 7 but the guy said it's going to be a challenge to fix. Might just be easier to go that route. Thanks everyone for trying to help me. It's so frustrating...

Collapse -
XX Amby, who did you email
by OMBubbles / June 14, 2012 2:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope

Amby,
I have same issue, and cannot get the Update to work using above fixes. Who did you email to get a response from Microsoft?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?