Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Update will not scan

Hi, I used system recovery to recover my computer in its original condition a couple months ago because there were some other problems going on with it, and just felt starting fresh was the best way to go. Since then Windows Update will do nothing, it shows no history, will not scan so I show no critcle updates, this is concerning. Also my HP Update software dosen't even open, when I click on HP Center I recieve window stating " C\WINDOWS\pi1.exe is not valid Win 32 application". At first I thought I deleted something adware or spybot found related to updating these products. After reinstall I was able to do 1 scan and download at WU but it took me hours to do this, turned out I needed to download, update software, I think, then nothing since. I've read and read nearly everyday anything I can for a fix but nothing. I run Windows XP SP1,
Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1. I've shut down popup blockers, all my anti virus tools are updated and pc is clean, runs great actually. Do you think I should reinstall XP, if so how to start? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Update will not scan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Update will not scan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sandiemay

In reply to: Windows Update will not scan

Collapse -
Windows update will not scan

In reply to: Sandiemay

Thanks roddy32, I've read this w/ not much help because I do not get an error window w/ number. Update tabs are greyed out and all I get is :
Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software...

Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. During this time, you may receive one or more security warnings. Review each security warning to ensure that the content is signed by Microsoft, and then click Install or Yes to install the software.
.....and nothing more. I am flustered, pc is clean and has no problems but no windows updates for about 2 months. Well thanks again.

Collapse -
Did you go through all

In reply to: Windows update will not scan

5 pages on that link? There are 20 possiblities on each page and 5 pages which is 100 different problems. There should be something there that can help you.

Collapse -
SP2 updates

In reply to: Did you go through all

Sandie,
I pulled this Microsoft's support pages. I have a copy of XP Pro on my laptop, but am unable to get XP activated on my desktop using the same XP Pro setup CD. I highly recommend you backup your registry first before going on.
Click Start > Run, and type in regedit and press <enter>.
From the Registry File menu, select export and make a backup copy of your registry and save it to your desktop in case this doesn't work for you.
1. Run regedit and go to: HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft
\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents, on the right double click on
"oobetimer" and change at least one digit of this value to deactivate
windows.

2. Choose run from start menu and type in this command:
%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a to get the activation screen
and go to the second option which is activate by phone.
3. In the new screen choose the option to change product key, and type in your product key.

4. Close that window, reboot your system and enter the command in step 2 for the second time to verify your activation , you should see "windows
is already activated".

5. From here you should be able to update your system with SP2.

Collapse -
Windows Update will not scan

In reply to: SP2 updates

Hi, Roddy32, most of the 100 situations had an error #, I read quite a few but none pertained to me cuz they all speak of during or after scan, mine will not scan. I do appreciate your input, thank you.

Hi, Jellswo, this sounds promising, I'm about to try anything but.....seems a little to techy (great directions though) for me, so before this happens I'll have to check out a few things like -whats a product key, I need to verify my guess. I have Windows XP Home which seems to work great other than this update mess. Thanks for great info , I have instructions printed.

Collapse -
Windows update will not scan

Having the same problem. No error code associated. The update page simply shows "Done" on the status line after a few seconds. The page shows "Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software..." but nothing happens. My XP disk works fine if reinstalled on another hard drive. There is something running on this machine shutting out Windows Updates. Virus and Spyware scans check OK.

Is a puzzlement...

Bob

Collapse -
Solution Found

type at the "run" command line:

net.exe stop wuauserv
regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
regsvr32 /s wups.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll
regsvr32 /s jscript.dll
regsvr32 /s atl.dll
regsvr32 /s softpub.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml3.dll
net.exe start wuauserv

This reinstalls Windows Update.

I also killed an annoying popup generator called dvdupgrd.exe. Found with msconfig (startup), then deleted all copies (search).

I found the solution elsewhere on the web, but forgot to bookmark. Apologies. Enter the "stalled" MS page message in Google.

Sure was a NASTY little problem!

Bob

Collapse -
Solution Found - Thanks

In reply to: Solution Found

Bob,
I had the same problem and your solution worked. I had to reinstall the windows update program.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.