by Ron Reisener / September 23, 2004 3:58 AM PDT

Acer F1, Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz
Windows XP Home Edition SP2
512 mb memory
Intel V92 External Modem
Dial-up internet connection
XP Firewall
AVG 6 Antivirus

I have configured Automatic Updates to notify me when updates are available but not to download them. I like to visit the Windows Update site once I have received notification that an update is available, to have a look at it before I download and install. My problem is that this notification system is obviously not working because I have discovered two critical updates to be available (I check Windows Update weekly) for which I have received no notification. This has only started happening since I installed SP2 but it might be just a coincidence.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Update Settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Update Settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just today...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2004 4:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Just today...
by Ron Reisener / September 23, 2004 7:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Just today...

Thanks Bob. I had, in fact, seen the post you refer to but the links did not give me any clues as to what is causing my problem. Have been in contact with Microsoft and they have been very helpful but have not come up with a solution yet. I have been asked to contact them again if and when I find an update that I have received no notification for. I posted on this forum on the hope that someone else had experienced the same problem.

Collapse -
Not critical updates
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2004 11:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Just today...

I think that may be the simple reason...

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Not critical updates
by Ron Reisener / September 24, 2004 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Not critical updates

You could just be right Bob - will see what happens when the first critical update is released. Many thanks to all for your assistance.

Collapse -
Re: Not critical updates
by Ron Reisener / October 13, 2004 3:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Not critical updates

Just thought that I would let you know that your analysis of the problem was spot on. Have today received notification that critical update KB834707 is available for download. And so the merry-go-round starts again!
Many thanks.

Collapse -
Re: Windows Update Settings
by John Robie / September 23, 2004 4:24 AM PDT

Hi Ron,

I like to keep track...
Have only receive one critical update from MS Windows Update since my installation of SP2 on September 1.
"Microsoft GDI+ Detection Tool (KB873374)"

What are the two critical updates you discovered?

Collapse -
by Ron Reisener / September 23, 2004 7:03 PM PDT

One is the one you mention, the other is Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 a week or so earlier.

Collapse -
by Mark5019 / September 23, 2004 7:52 PM PDT

very easy answer there NOT critical updates
i have them allso but not under critical you dont need them to be safe.

Collapse -
by PopsSut / September 25, 2004 9:52 AM PDT

I have the same update listed in my "critical" updates available, and auto updates does nothing. I have windows updates set to automatic.

Collapse -
by phattdaddy / October 13, 2004 6:39 AM PDT

XP Hotfix KB884020 10/4/2004
XP Hotfix KB834707 10/13/2004
XP Hotfix KB885884 10/13/2004
Received and downloaded on those dates.

Collapse -
by John Robie / October 13, 2004 9:06 AM PDT

Thanks Pratt for listing those as it may be helpful for others.

Re: KB 884020.....Programs that connect to IP addresses that are in the loopback address range may not work as you expect in Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Not a critical update that MS sent me notice on with the "MS Windows Update". Since I have not had any problems, have not downloaded, but will if I ever have a problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884020

Re: KB 88588....Release date Oct 12, 2004. Pertains to the security updates for Microsoft Office XP, for Microsoft Visio 2002, and for Microsoft Project 2002 documented in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-028.

Is a critical update, but MS Windows Update has not listed for me as I do not have MS Office XP or the other things mentioned.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;885884

RE: KB 834707.... Important Critical Update that the MS Windows Update listed for me to download which I did on Oct 12, 2004. Is listed as a "Cumulative Security Update for IE" and highly recommended for all WinXP SP2 to download.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-038.mspx

OK, now looking at my computer in Control Panel under Add/Remove it has listed:

Microsoft Data Access Components KB 870669, Critical Update for ADODB.stream, installed July 4, 2004

Windows XP - Software Updates Winhdows XP hotfix KB 834707

Windows XP Service Pack 2, installed Sep 1, 2004

Collapse -
Also have KB 873374...
by John Robie / October 13, 2004 9:32 AM PDT

which is the MS GDI+ Detection Tool downloaded and listed in Installation history at Windows Update, but not in Control Panel (Add/Remove) since installing SP2 on Sep 1st.

Collapse -
by rickrack17 / September 25, 2004 10:34 PM PDT

I had the same Scenario, I think its because it takes update when automatic a day or two to broadcast.

Collapse -
by auggief / October 13, 2004 9:07 PM PDT

I have mine set to download and install critical updates. It did it finally on the 13th. KB834707

Collapse -
by Brenda52 / October 13, 2004 9:26 PM PDT

I have updates on. I received an email from MS stating there was updates needed to be installed, but auto update did not install them. Went to windows update and installed from there. I do not know why it did not install them. I am sure there will be an update for that also.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / October 13, 2004 10:01 PM PDT

For anyone that uses the automatic update option and doesn't realize it, you should still visit Windows Update periodically because the only updates that AUTO does are the critical ones. Any other optional updates that you may or may not want have got to be installed manually and I don't think that Microsoft notifies you about them.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.