Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Windows Update screwed everything....

by nuentes / March 5, 2010 3:10 AM PST

I decided to restart my computer today. While it was shutting down, it began installing an update. No big deal. However, after 20 minutes, I got suspicious. After 45 minutes, I made the tough decision to shut down the PC. In hindsight, maybe it was a mistake, but I dont think I had much of a choice. I later found that the update was under 1MB in size... nothing major. So I have no idea why it took 45 minutes???? Regardless, I booted back up, and everything was screwed. Long story short, I ran a system restore, and rolled back to yesterday, and then installed any new updates. Mostly everything is back to working as usual... thanks to me keeping good backups of everything. Only problem left is: now my keyboard doesnt work right. Half my keys dont work, including both "enter keys", the numbers below the Function keys, and the arrow keys. Hence, the TERRIBLE formatting of this message. This is a PC with a USB keyboard. I have tried unplugging it, and plugging it back in, and several restarts. I dont know whats wrong with it. Any ideas of what to do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Update screwed everything....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Update screwed everything....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you reinstall the keyboard's software package?
by John.Wilkinson / March 5, 2010 3:37 AM PST

It's most likely a driver issue, which can be fixed by reinstalling the keyboard's software package. If the keyboard came with the computer, check the manufacturer's website for the download.

Also, if possible, check your Windows Update log and let us know what update (KBxxxxx) caused the problem. A small update like that should not take that long, and any update certainly shouldn't cause such an issue.

Collapse -
It does sound like a driver issue... doesnt it?
by nuentes / March 5, 2010 5:15 AM PST

I have 3 updates that were installed today, but I believe it was KB971033. The other two are: KB973924, KB915597. The keyboard is just a dell keyboard.... an artifact from a PC I got rid of about a year ago. I doubt I still have an installation disc. I will try to look for drivers, but Windows did not find any problems through troubleshoot, and the drivers were listed as there... It was plug and play when I built this PC with Win7.

Collapse -
by nuentes / March 5, 2010 5:51 AM PST

I managed to uninstall it. It had two drivers associated with it. I unstalled both, unplugged it, and then plugged it back in. It installed, and still doesnt work right. Dell's website has not helped me at all. The model of the keyboard is rt7d50. Cant find drivers on dell's site, or anywhere else, for that matter.

Collapse -
by jeff_windows_team / March 5, 2010 5:57 AM PST
In reply to: So....

Have you tried using the most recent Vista driver?

Collapse -
maybe I wasnt clear...
by nuentes / March 5, 2010 6:03 AM PST
In reply to: driver

I cant find, and dont have ANY drivers.... except for the ones Windows finds when I install the keyboard.

Collapse -
Did you already exclude a hardware issue by ...
by Kees Bakker / March 5, 2010 6:01 AM PST
In reply to: So....

1. Using this keyboard at another PC. It seems it doesn't need Dell drivers, so there is good chance it should work.
2. Using another (USB) keyboard in this PC.

Collapse -
by nuentes / March 5, 2010 6:05 AM PST

that would be quite the coincidence, considering it was working perfectly fine 5 hours ago, and has never given me a problem in over 4 years. But i do not have another pc, or another keyboard to test right now. I highly doubt that is the problem.

Collapse -
Figured it out!
by nuentes / March 5, 2010 10:29 AM PST
In reply to: well

Alright, thanks for your advice everybody. Had I given all the information, I'm sure it would have been solved quicker.

I have the MCE remote installed, along with a program called LM Remote Keymap, which lets me reprogram what the remote does. Somehow this programs settings got messed up in the reset (I haven't touched the settings in over 6 months!!). The program was making the remote conflict with the keyboard.

Anyway, I am still having weird little things pop up since this reboot. I still dont understand why it took 45 minutes and still didnt finish, but regardless... I think I can take the reigns from here.

Thanks again!

Collapse -
Turns out... I think it screwed something else now
by nuentes / March 10, 2010 11:36 AM PST
In reply to: Figured it out!

I have a Sirius subscription. Ever since this happened, I have been unable to stream on the web.

If you look at their FAQ's, they list several solutions

My browser is up to date (I have tried with both firefox and IE)
flash is up to date
web caching is automatic

So according to their diagnostics, all that leaves is Windows Media Player as the problem. Is there a way to uninstall it, and then reinstall it????

Sirius has been no help. Not a big surprise... I know this is an extremely rare case.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?