General discussion

Windows update root certificate issue

Good day,

I work for a company that uses an ethernet connection and a netgear switch to connect a bunch of trucks together, and then software on the main computer to control all the different trucks and display the data off the trucks, rates, pressures, engine diagnostics etc.

Lately I have had an issue with the software on the main computer locking up. When I checked the event viewer the last couple of times I had a crypt32 error right around the time the software froze. Now I understand why this is happening, because windows is trying to update the root certificates, and I'm not connected to the internet.

The questions I have are:

Do you think it's possible that windows trying to update the root certificates could interfere with the connection between the main computer and the pumps, even for just a split second, to interrupt the software?

And also how would I go about trying to recreate the windows certificate update to see if I can make this issue happen again? Is there a program that runs to update the certificates? I've tried searching the internet and can't find a name or anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Windows update root certificate issue
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows update root certificate issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Have you tried turning this off?

What you describe is something I have no knowledge of, so treat my advice with caution.

However, if the problem appears only to be caused by this computer not having an internet connection, but is attempting to update the Root Certificates, then why not turn that off?

Microsoft has guidance about that here;
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317541

As to your question, if the symptoms seem to be that the system locks up when it attempts to connect to the internet to update the Root Certificates, then yes, the connections could be interrupted.

I hope that helps.

Mark

- Collapse -
I need to prove this is the issue.

Ya I am aware of how to turn it off. It would be good though if I could prove that this is the issue that's causing the problem. That's why I want to recreate the error, just to prove that's what the issue is, then of course I will definitely turn it off. I'll probably turn it off anyways, it would just be good if I could report to the rest of the electronics department across canada that this is what is going on.

Do you perhaps know if there's a way to make the root certificates component run?

- Collapse -
It looks like Event entries are created

If you look at the system's Event Viewer Console, see if you can find any Event ID 7 or 8 entries, and if so, do they correspond with the dates and times of lock ups the system has been experiencing. In this case it looks like you would be looking at Event ID 8, where the attempted update failed.

I see that there is no user notification about the trigger that starts the process of the root certificates attempting to update.

There's more detailed information about this at Microsoft's Technet site here; Certificate Support and the Update Root Certificates Component.

It seems to me the Event Viewer is the way forward if you want to be as sure as you can that this is what is happening.

Good luck with this.

Mark

- Collapse -
I believe the link for Microsoft's Technet site would be..
- Collapse -
(NT) Yep, that works. :-)

CNET Forums