I found an update for the graphics driver (duh!) which has allowed the PC to boot up OK two from three. It still said on the bad occasion there was problem with a device driver. Crisis possibly over.
Long but I hope a good challenge for someone and useful for others.
1. Running Windows XP SP2, Office Pro Edition 2003. I regularly use anti-virus and malware software.
2. Got another monitor (second-hand) four weeks ago. LG915FT Plus. Worked immediately it was wired up. I only mention the monitor because it is the only change to my set-up I?ve made more than a year.
3. On 14 Feb automatic windows update facility invited me to install a number of updates (?XP Hotfixes? with KB serials) which I did. These
included Cumulative security update KB867282.
4. Immediately my PC started to have problems booting up. It would struggle, eventually invite me to use the ?Last known good configuration?, etc. and, when eventually running, the Online Crash Analysis reported: ?Error Caused by Graphics Device Driver? or ?Error Caused By A Device Driver?.
5. I downloaded the most recent driver for the monitor and installed but to no avail.
6. I noticed on the microsoft.public.windowsupdate community newsgroup that the problem might be the update KB867282. I uninstalled it and bingo everything worked again.
7. A few days later (yesterday) I was wondering how I could update Office 2003. The automatic Office update machine always stopped scanning at 40%.
On the Office update community newsgroup someone else with this apparently common problem had solved it by downloading scripten.exe., i.e. Windows Script 5.6. I did this and now have exactly the same problem as I did before I uninstalled Cumulative security update KB867282, i.e terrible problems booting up.
8. Except this time around I can?t reverse it because I don?t know how to uninstall scripten.exe (doesn?t appear in Add/Remove Programs), and there is clearly an underlying problem rather than a problem with KB867282.
9. Can scripten.exe be uninstalled? Any ideas about what is really wrong?
Very grateful for any help