Question

Windows Update KB253842

Dell Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E7500 Computer Inspirion 545s 00 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 6GB Memory 750GB Hard Drive Wireless N Networking

Windows Update KB253842 -- 2005SP1 Redistributable Package keeps appearing in my WU area. I click to download and install and it does it, supposedly, because it shows "Successfully Installed" --- in fact, it now appears in my history as being suggessfully installed 8 times all between June 16 and today (6-1Cool. Yet, it keeps reappearing -- does anyone know why this is happening?

Just for info -- I have now hid the silly thing as I'm tired of seeing it. Do I really have this update -- even though it shows it in the history even on my computer -- or is it a bummer?

Thanks,

Julea

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Windows Update KB253842
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows Update KB253842
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Odd KB number.

Is that the correct number?

- Collapse -
Answer
You're not alone Julea
- Collapse -
Thanks -- but, evidently I have more problems than I knew.

I downloaded the 2 files -- vcredist_64.exe and vcredist_X86.exe. When executing the 64 one, I get this:

The path C:\Windows\TEMP\IXP000 TMP vcredist.msi cannot be found. Verify that you have access to this location and try again. or try to find the installer package vcredist.msi in a folder from which you can install the product Microsoft Visual C++2005 Redistributable (x64)

Then another screen with a red X shows, "The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the coure exists and that you can access it.

My computer is set to run with me as the Administrator. I also tried executing the X86 and ti says the system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation.

Say what ?? Maybe I should just hide it and forget about it (LOL) ???

If I did that, is it going to cause problems on down the road?

- Collapse -
I think someone more knowledgeble with Windows 7

is going to have to help you Julea if the earlier link I provided with others with the same problem did not help.. I have never used either Windows 7 or 64 bit.

- Collapse -
Very strange

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit here, fully updated, and I don't have KB2538242

I read the thread that Rod found, and followed the link provided to;
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=ae2e1a40-7b45-4fe9-a20f-2ed2923aca62&displaylang=en

There, I saw that the article ID was 2538242 and the description is;
MS11-025: Description of the security update for Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package: June 14, 2011

Here's where it gets strange. In that MS article we have two choices to follow, for home users one link, and for IT Professionals, another. I chose the Home link, but read both.

Home link - http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/bulletins/201105.aspx

Nothing there about Visual C++ 2--5 SP1 Redistributable Package: June 14, 2011. Nothing about KB2538242

Two further links offered in that new page, one for Vulnerability in WINS Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2524426), and the other for Vulnerabilities in Microsoft PowerPoint Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2545814).

So, that confuses me no end. I even watched the Microsoft Silverlight video offered on the web site at http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/bulletins/201105.aspx

But I was none the wiser. It confuses me that I seemed to be going round in circles at MS.

I think you are wise to hide this update for the time being, and I wouldn't be concerned about any supposed vulnerabilities.

Mark

- Collapse -
Thanks Mark -- that's my plan (LOL)!!!

I have hidden it again and am forgetting about it. Bob Profitt was right -- I did have the wrong number, but Roddy knew what I was talking about. Since I know zilch about the windows installer, I'm letting it sit for now. It sure is weird though how it shows sulccesfull 9 different times now! Our son always said the only "real" virus out there is Microsoft. Sometimes I really do wonder -- but I do know better!! Thanks for your response.

Julea

- Collapse -
Julia follow this link ...
- Collapse -
Wish I cou get this to work

A few posts back, I posted where I had done this. I was not able to get tem to work. My post explains what I got. Too bad these posts are not numbered (LOL). Good to see ya -- it's been awhlie.

- Collapse -
Answer
I see the KB number is off

You may be asking about KB2538242 and not KB253842 ?

- Collapse -
You're right Bob -- however --

I believe Roddy figured it out.

CNET Forums