Windows Vista forum

Question

Windows Update error code 80070005

by have?? / September 8, 2012 2:52 PM PDT

I use Windows Vista unable to install updates because I keep getting the error code 80070005. I need to install SP1 and SP2. I found a place where SP1 can be downloaded but it's not recommended. Is there a way I can try an fix the error code first? I know that mirosoft no longer supports the SP1 will it cause me a problem if I end up having to download the larger file.

Appreciate any help,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Update error code 80070005
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Update error code 80070005
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
by Manpreet_C Dell staff / September 11, 2012 5:37 AM PDT

Hi,

You can try these steps prior to the SP1 installation and try the SP2 update again.
1. Please download the Subinacl.msi file and save the installation patch onto the Desktop.
2. Go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file. Select the C:\Windows\System32 folder as the Destination Folder during the installation. Later, you can use this tool to reset the permission settings on the current machine.
3. Go to start, type "notepad" in the search box and press enter. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f
echo Finished.
pause

4. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose "Save" when you are prompted to save the file. Type "reset.bat" as the file name and choose "Desktop" from the left panel as the save location. On the Desktop, right click the reset.bat file, then choose Run as administrator. You will see a DOS-like window processing.
NOTE: It may take several minutes, please be patient. When it is finished, you will be prompted with the message: "Finished, press any key to continue".

Hope this helps.
Do write back with the results.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

Collapse -
Isn't this from some blog or MSDN article?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2012 8:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
by have?? / September 11, 2012 2:34 PM PDT

Looks like it...so glad Manpreet C. knew of the article or had the knowledge to remember what to do!

Collapse -
by have?? / September 11, 2012 2:31 PM PDT

Thanks so much...I hope I can do all that correctly...get a little nervous about stuff like that Happy
Did not get much help on the net...seems a lot of people were having the same issue and everything
that was suggested didn't work.

Thanks again much appreciated,
Lue

Collapse -
by have?? / October 17, 2012 1:10 AM PDT

I finnally got brave to do your reconmendation. Everything went like you wrote, but I can not
check for Updates still gives me the same error code. I did go to see what was updated where it shows
you want to uninstall or change the installed updates. There were a lot of new updates as of today installed
and SP 2. The steps I took this morning did it also install the new updates? I'm always ask for permission when
I want to install or open a program and I "continue" and it runs. So I don't know why my auto updates
doesn't run.

Thanks for your help I hope I do have the SP 2 update if I do not I can not install Office 2010.
Lue

Collapse -
Os re-installation
by Manpreet_C Dell staff / October 17, 2012 10:46 PM PDT

Hi Lue,

I appreciate your efforts. We have tried the advanced troubleshooting steps. Here is a simple Microsoft fix-it; you can try this and let us see if it helps.
If this does not help, please check for mal-ware as suggested on this Microsoft article.
If this does not help, you may have to perform re-installation of Windows Vista and try the windows updates again.

Hope this helps.
Please revert for any further queries.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

Collapse -
by have?? / October 18, 2012 11:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Os re-installation

I ran the Microsoft fix-it..had a message about Window's Update. One components must be repaired.
It said it was fixed...but no still does not let me update still the error code. So I will ran for Malware. The only program I have is "Malwarebytes" is that good enough?

Thanks for your help Happy
Lue

Collapse -
I have to write no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2012 12:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
by have?? / October 18, 2012 11:20 PM PDT

Forgot to mention Fix-It " One or More components were configured incorrectly"
also said it was fixed.

Collapse -
Windows Re-installation
by Manpreet_C Dell staff / October 22, 2012 5:07 AM PDT

Thank you for the response.

I would recommend you to re-install Windows Vista and then update to SP2.

Hope this helps.
Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.