Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows update

by ultralight / July 24, 2008 7:21 AM PDT

I keep getting the update icon showing in the taskbar, when i go in and check for updates it shows the SP 3 and then below there is a place to click if I do not want to download that and check for other updates. When i click on it, (I do not want to do the SP 3 right now) it says there is not any high priority updates.

Why is the icon still showing at the bottom of my taskbar, how do I stop it from showing there?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows update icon....
by tallin / July 24, 2008 8:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows update

Hi ultralight Happy

Did you reboot after disabling the SP3 download?

keep us posted...

Collapse -
Windows update icon
by ultralight / July 24, 2008 9:42 AM PDT

Sorry I should have said in my message that I did do a restart after I did the updates that showed on the left side of the page. I did not do anything with the SP3 download.!!!

At the top of the page for the update it did show the Sp3 download, and then down a aways it said...If don't ant to download the SP3 review other updates. I clicked on that and then it came up with there was not any high priority updates, but showed 1 under software and one under hardware. I did download them and then did a restart.

Should I hide the SP3? I am not sure just how to do that?

Thanks

Collapse -
Turn off automatic updates. . .
by Coryphaeus / July 24, 2008 10:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows update icon

like I do. Go to the Update Site once a month for updates. Download SP3 when you're ready.

Collapse -
Suggestions as follows...
by tallin / July 24, 2008 12:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows update icon

I would go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ let the site check for any updates for your system. If SP3 shows, click on the + sign where it tells you details for your computer. There is an option that says "Don't show me this update again" or something to that affect, enable it and until you disable that option you will not see it again.

I would suggest you do not download and install Hardware from Windows Update link, always go to your system manufacturers website for any Hardware installations.

The last suggestion I would make to you is, go to start > settings > Control Panel > Automatic Updates > and enable
"Notify me but do not download and install updates".
That way you are in control of your update feature, but I strongly advise you not to turn off Windows Updates. You would only have to forget to go there monthly and before you knew it your system could be vulnerable.

Post back if the above is not clear and keep us updated.

kind regards,

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?