Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Windows Update

Due to Windows Update website changes, it was required that I download/install new active-X controls before installing a high priority update. The update installed successfully, but I am left with a Windows File Protection notice as follows: "Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files.......please insert Windows XP CD.......".

Since I have installed the new WU active-X on two other computers and did not receive any Windows Protection notification, I am wondering why I received one or if it has anything to do with my January reformat using my Dell XP reinstallation CD.

Is it O.K. to do as I am told and follow the Windows File Protection instructions and let the CD do its thing?

Miki
Dell Dimension 8250
Pentium 4 2.66 GHZ
Windows XP (SP2)
512 MB RDRAM
80 GB 7200 Ultra ATA
AOL/DSL 9.0 Optimized

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Addendum-I have not removed any trusted root certificat

In reply to: Windows Update

Collapse -
Miki, A Couple Of Thoughts...

In reply to: Windows Update

First, just in case there was a virus that caused the issue, try clicking on either or both of the links below and run the free online scans they provide:

Housecall Online Scanner

Panda Online Scanner

If that doesn't find anything, then the update may have installed a corrupted file. You might try manually reinstalling the update from a downloaded update file (we'll need the EXACT update that was installed), or reinstalling Service Pack 2 from a CD or downloaded SP2 installer ((This LINK would provide the SP2 installer file for you.), or you could also run System File Checker ("SFC /scannow") per the instructions below. You'll probably need the XP CD or you can direct the program to check in the "C:WINDOWS\System32\Dllcache" folder:

How to use the scannow sfc tool in Windows XP

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Everything looks O.K.

In reply to: Miki, A Couple Of Thoughts...

Hi Grif -- Thank you for replying to me on a Sunday and so quickly.

Panda and Housecall came up clean.

The WU high priority update installed correctly yesterday on my second attempt. What I 'think' happened (not that familiar with this type of thing) was that on my first try the download Active-X control certificate that came up on WU was not the proper signed certificate and it brought forth Windows File Protection; thus I was unable to download the update. The second attempt brought up a proper certificate and allowed the download.

And then, I did my Blonde thing -- I should have clicked on the Retry button on Windows File Protection..... instead I clicked on the "more" information button which brought up nothing helpful. I rebooted once and WFP came back, but because I had people in and out of the house, I had to shut down my computer. When I turned the system back on this time the Windows File Protection was gone -- so I will never know for sure what happened.

I added www.microsoft.com to my trusted sites.

Whatever! -- sez The Blonde Happy

Thank you for the SFC link. I did not use the System File Checker, but did download the .pdf to my computer for another time. Not a good time for me to find any problems, so I do not want to look any further since all seems O.K.

Miki
Blondes have a language all their own

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sounds Good To Me...Keep Up The Safe Computing.

In reply to: Everything looks O.K.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) My thanks, Grif, and Happy 4th to you and everyone

In reply to: (NT) Sounds Good To Me...Keep Up The Safe Computing.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!