Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

windows update

I have tried to update Windows to the 'Update version 6'. However I get a message saying 'encountered a problem' and OX80072F76 which gives quite a complicated way of solving it and I am not too sure if I can attempt what they say. I feel as though I should have a forum to myself with all my queries.

Liz

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
WOW< PLEASE< PLEASE tell us what

In reply to: windows update

Operating system you are using, what type computer,etc, etc.

Then what is Update Verision 6???

Any chance that you are trying to upgrade Outlook Express [a part of Windows] to version 6????

And always, include the details of any error message that you get. No other way to get help from here unless you give the helpers enough info to work with.

See you soon.

Collapse -
Re: what is Update Verision 6???

In reply to: WOW< PLEASE< PLEASE tell us what

Collapse -
WOW

In reply to: WOW< PLEASE< PLEASE tell us what

It is updating windows update.

Running XP HOme

950 megaherts AMD Duron
368 megabytes of RAM

Is this enough info

Collapse -
WOW

In reply to: WOW

Sorry Ray forget to give the error no

Ox80072F76

Thanks

Liz

Collapse -
I have not been watching this thread

In reply to: WOW

because I thought that the link that tufenuf gave would lead you to a solution. Did you click that link and then follow that thread??? The people there probably are best to communicate with, because I didn't even know what the update was. Sorry.

Collapse -
Hi Liz, I went

In reply to: windows update

and did that same update this morning (v6) and, after a very brief download, I got the error message but I also got a popup asking if I wanted to reboot so the changes will take affect, which I said yes to. I rebooted, went back to Windows Updates and it finished the download and it works fine now. I did not have to reboot the second time. There have been a number of people reporting problems with error messages so maybe it would be a good idea to wait a few days until they fix it or you can try it like I did, which worked but I have no way of knowing if that will work for you or not.

Collapse -
Hi Liz I Went

In reply to: Hi Liz, I went

Hi

Mine does not even start to download it just comes up with ' You have encountered a problem' and theres an error message Ox80072F76. I have looked this up and it seems a bit complicated to sort out but I guess I will have to try it - I think the problem could be to do with the fact that I downloaded Onspeed which of course changes your settings and it could be stopping it from coming through - I do not understand the workings of computers at all.

Many thanks for your help - I will give it a few days before I try anything. (OK so I'm a coward - not got the confidence at 72 as i had in my 20's).

Liz

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) OK Liz, good luck. :D

In reply to: Hi Liz I Went

Collapse -
OK LIz

In reply to: (NT) OK Liz, good luck. :D

Just to say that besides not being able to download the Microsoft update my comuter started hanging at close down

I have now removed Onspeed and done every test possible and so far everything is now in working order.

Hope it stays that way.

Once again many thanks for everyones help.

Liz

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Glad you got it sorted Liz. :D

In reply to: OK LIz

Collapse -
Windows Update error ox80072F76

In reply to: OK LIz

A big thank you for your fix on this problem. I have been trying for days to solve it. Just to add there is no need to REMOVE Onspeed. Just right click the onspeed icon and select exit. Then when you have completed your update, reopen onspeed from the start memue/programmes/onspeed
Really glad I found this forum.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.