Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Themes

by Brad_Farley / October 10, 2005 4:32 AM PDT

I read somewhere that disabling the different graphics themes in windows helps your pc start up faster. Well i did it and i can't remember how to turn it back on. I've gone to Properties of the display > Appearance ad the in the "Windows and buttons" drop menu, all I have to choose is the Windows classic theme. The XP is not an option. So how do i get that back, b/c this screen is kinda drab. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Themes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Themes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
use this
by spy HH / October 10, 2005 4:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows Themes

you can use system restore and restore your pc to a date in which you have not done so yet.

Don't know whats system restore, ask me back.

Collapse -
Windows Themes
by byker49 / October 10, 2005 5:47 AM PDT

Right click on the desktop
Select the theme tab
Under theme in the dropdownbox select windows xp style

Collapse -
Another possibility...
by John.Wilkinson / October 10, 2005 6:29 AM PDT

Right-click ''my computer'' and select ''properties,'' or go start->control panel->(Performance and Maintenance)->system. From there, select the ''advanced'' tab and click on ''settings'' under ''Performance.'' To restore the ability to use XP theming, select ''Adjust for best appearance'' and ''OK'' your way out. And all's beautiful with Windows again! Happy

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Me again
by Brad_Farley / October 10, 2005 6:47 AM PDT

I really appreciate all this, but none of it helped. I don't know what the f*** i did, but it happened too long ago to system restore, i can't lose the stuff i have. The second reply is something i had already tried and the third one i was hopeful on, but did not change it. Again, thanks for the advice. I'll just have to live in a drab world.

Collapse -
Re: Themes Problem
by Tufenuf / October 10, 2005 7:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Me again
Collapse -
Turenuf is Tough Enough
by Brad_Farley / October 10, 2005 8:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Themes Problem

I sincerely thank you for your help, it definately worked. If i were to ever meet you, i'd buy you a round. Thanks.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Brad, Glad to help & which fix did you use?
by Tufenuf / October 10, 2005 8:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
The website
by Brad_Farley / October 11, 2005 12:12 AM PDT

The website you directed me to is what helped me fix it.

Collapse -
same problem
by gobber_us / October 16, 2005 8:25 AM PDT
In reply to: The website

Brad I went to the website, download the thing-a-mij and selected the problem (stuck in classic) and then on the side the button said repair but it was all grayed out Sad

Did you really pay the $5 to make it work or did you do something else?

Collapse -
More on Themes Problem.
by Tufenuf / October 10, 2005 7:08 AM PDT

Brad, Here's a possible fix I found on another forum.

''Although the Luna Theme was showing up in the correct folder with the appropriate files 'XP Style' option in display properties/apprearance still would not show.

ANSWER
The 'Themes' service was not running !!

Before copying the Luna files etc as suggested in the links above check first to make sure that the service IS running and has not been switched off (as mine had been) Follow (open) as stated...

Control Panel ....
Performance & Maintenance...
Administrative Tools....
Computer Management...
Services and Applications....
Services....
Themes (a box with tabs appears)

The 'General' tab is at the front.
1. If 'startup type' is set at 'disabled' (as mine was) change to 'automatic'
2. At the bottom is 'service status' CLICK 'Start'

Voila - Windows XP Style zings back in to operation.
In Display Properties you get your XP Theme option back and 'Windows XP Style' also comes back in the appearance tab.

Hope someone finds this helpful''.

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?t=194360&highlight=Luna+Themes

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Other thoughts...
by John.Wilkinson / October 10, 2005 7:14 AM PDT

Aside from trying to repair part of Windows, or, worse yet, living with the 95/98/ME look, I'd like to suggest downloading a theme Microsoft released for download last year. It is a modified, spiffy looking-version of the standard XP Luna theme, originally designed for Windows Media Center 2005, but now available for everyone. After clicking here to download it, you can unzip the package, run the installer, then go to the directory c:\windows\resources and double-click on the file "Royale." If just the themes, and not the utility, are corrupted, this will work and make your desktop look better than before.

If that doesn't work, you can use a repair installation of Window o correct the problem, but that assumes your Windows XP CD has that option. (Most OEM "recovery" disks lack the repair feature.)

Finally, since it appears that the theme utility is shot anyway, you might want to consider downloading a modified uxtheme.dll file that allows you to skin your desktop to your liking. (At this stage, you don't have much to lose.) You can click here for instructions on how to download/replace the file, or download/run a free utility that will do it for you. Using either method will allow you to choose from thousands of themes with are not normally accepted by Windows. While it's unsupported by Microoft, I've had much success with it.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
I agree with John's suggestions..
by johnrpan / September 22, 2007 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Other thoughts...

Just one more option. If you don't want to use a program like Window Blinds, a utility that helps you install and modify different Vista themes on your computer, you can also avail yourself to Vista themes and skins as part of a toolbar package. One website that I know of, <a href="http://www.vista-skins.com/">Vista-Skins.com</a> has many different Vista skins and themes (ones that looks like Windows XP, Mac OS X, contemporary, etc.) that are easily interchangeable with the toolbar. Of course, I have the toolbar, and the caveat is when you are searching for something in a search engine, it acts like adware, and will suggest a website alternative. For some people, this is obtrusive, but you can diminish the impact of this feature by utilizing your pop-up blocker.

Collapse -
You can make other changes as well
by Dango517 / September 24, 2007 11:31 PM PDT

I realize that you've just had a problem and may not be in the mood for this now but many very attractive themes are available so you don't have to look at the same old image all the time. There are some on Cnets download.com and a number can be found on Window Market place. Many, many are freeware. You can also adjust your windows (the frame that surround most every thing in XP) from your color settings within XP. This is a nice feature. I'm running Vista right now and they just aren't available yet. I miss this feature in XP.

And yes some themes do effect the way your system operates but this is mostly with animated themes. Animated themes use CPU resources that will slightly reduce the over all speed of your system. Stationary themes do little to effect start up timing. You'll need to look elsewhere to solve this problem.

A little tool that is handy if you do want to change the color setting in many areas of computing is ColoPic from Iconico.com . It takes a little time to learn to use it but once you do it pretty good. You can make a lot of nice color changes with this little utility.

Collapse -
In addition
by Dango517 / September 24, 2007 11:49 PM PDT

I would suggest that you avoid the land of Smiles when searching for screen savers, themes, cursors, etc.. The scripts (GIFs) these little features run from can screw up your computer. I had this problem while running both ME and XP. In other words, I learned this the hard way. Also the risk of spyware is greater on some of these sites. Free stuff from these places comes with strings attached, some of them might be your private information or worse.

Collapse -
If the "Land of Smiles" seems a bit odd, let me explain
by Dango517 / September 25, 2007 12:20 AM PDT
In reply to: In addition

There is certain look that some sites have that set them apart. Most of these sites function with a certain aggressive marketing methods that you might associated with junk mail, tabloids, "How to loss 500 lbs in three days", that sort of thing. I think you get the drift. I'd suggest if when your looking for this kind of material if it looks cute "but isn't", stay away from it. I wont mention any names, these hucksters will sue, it's probable how they make most of there money. This isn't just one site there are many of this sort. Avoid them.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.