Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Windows temp file issue

by swampf0x / January 29, 2009 3:10 AM PST

Hi All,

Here is my issue. When I go to check the properties on of the windows temp file I watch as it shows the file size inceasing rapidly and until all the PCs HD space has been utilized. When I actually open the temp folder all I see is 2 files that I can't delete. I think it may be virus related but when I do a scan it will scan (for days) this temp file and can never actually finish the scan. I have made sure all hidden files are reveiled but still all it shows is 2 files. I don't know what to do at this point. Any help will be gladly appreciated. I am running out of ideas.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows temp file issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows temp file issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have You Tried?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 29, 2009 3:59 AM PST

1. Tried restarting into Safe Mode and delete all files from the Temp folder while in Safe Mode?

2. Although you didn't tel us which operating system you're using, IF you're using Windows XP, have you tried using the Recovery Console from an XP disc, then access the command prompt and delete all files from the Temp folder.

3. Once you delete the temp files, then please download, install, update, and run the free antispyware tools using the instructions below:

On a friend or family member's computer, download the Malwarebytes installer and update files from the links below, copy them to a CD or flash drive, then transfer the files to the problem machine and use them. If you can't start the computer into "normal" windows, try installing, updating, and running the scans AFTER the computer is started into Safe Mode.. I use the sites below to download the installer file and the manual updater:

Once downloaded and before transferring them to the problem machine, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "Gogetum.exe", then copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the problem machine, then install the "Gogetum.exe" file, then run the update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/database/mbam-rules.exe

Next, download the SuperAntispyware program and the manual updater from the links below. After running the Malwarebytes tool above, if you still can't download and install it directly from the problem machine, download it on a friend or family member's computer as well.:

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

SuperAntispyware Manual Updater
http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

In a few situations, in order for the program to run, it was also necessary to rename the main "mbam.exe" file also after installing it.. It resides in the C:\Programs Files\Malwarebytes Antimalware folder.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Grif

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Still no luck
by swampf0x / January 31, 2009 6:45 AM PST
In reply to: Have You Tried?

Thanks Grif for your response. Still no luck. Let me clarify the situation a bit. I am using Windows XP Pro and the actual file that has the issue is the Windows Temp Internet File. When I went into the System Recovery mode and tried to access the file via the DOS mode (i think that is what it is called) I cannot access the Documents and Settings directory so that I can get to it . . . it responds with an access denied. (I am in the recovery mode as the systems administrator.)

I was wondering if I uninstalled windows internet explorer if it automatically remove the Temp Internet Folder which would then alow me to run the virus scan and capture the virus?

Collapse -
Different Problem....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 31, 2009 1:41 PM PST
In reply to: Still no luck

IN your first post, you mentioned a "Windows Temp file". In this post, you mention a "Windows Temp Internet File" AND the "Temp Internet Folder".. Those are entirely two different things.. Which are we dealing with and what is the EXACT path of the problem file?

In addition, I'm not quite sure what the "System Recovery mode" is.. Are you in "Safe Mode" or are you using the Windows XP disc to load the "Recovery Console".. The term "recovery mode" isn't quite correct and it would be nice to know exactly where you are in the process.

First, you can't truly uninstall Internet Explorer from XP.It integrate into the operating system so well, that it's generally not an accepted practice. Next, although you can delete "Files" from the C:\Documents and Settings\Yourusername\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files" folder/directory, you can't delete the actual "Temporary Internet Files" folder itself. (Please be sure of your EXACT names for the files vs folders.) PLUS , you wouldn't want to if you could.. It's a system folder and is used by Internet Explorer..

Just another thought, if you can restart into "normal" or Safe Mode Windows, please try the Error Checking steps in the link below:

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk' On Win2000/XP

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Clearer picture of issue
by swampf0x / February 1, 2009 2:21 AM PST
In reply to: Different Problem....

Hi Griff...Here is the clarification. We are dealing with the Temp Internet Files Folder. path: C:\Documents and Settings\Myusename\Local Settings\Temp Internet Files

The problem once again is I've noticed that once I check the properties of this folder (Temp Internet Files) I notice that the number of files in this folder keeps increasing before my eyes and never stops until the computers total available memory is used. When doing a virus scan the scan never completes as it gets stuck scanning this folder in what looks like a continuous loop. When I go into the Temp Internet Files folder to try and delete the files all it has in there is one file which is called: track-chart (an XML document)that I cannot and will not delete. I have even changed the option for this folder to show all hidden files under folder options just incase there are files or folders in this folder that are hidden.

Things I have done so far with no success:
1) virus scan in Safe Mode - I get the same result scan cannot complete scanning this folder
2) Used the Recovery Console from the Windows XP disc - tried to access C:\Documents and Settings\Myusename\Local Settings\Temp Internet Files with no luck to try and delete all files in this folder

I am going to try the Error Checking process you've suggested now. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated . . . I am running out of ideas.

Thanks again

Shawn

Collapse -
What Stops You From Deleting Files In The Recovery Console?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 1, 2009 12:24 PM PST

From the Recovery Console, you should be able to delete almost any file of your choice.. It will even delete files that will prevent the computer from booting in the future.. Are you familiar with the specific commands to do so? For example:

Once you access the C:\ prompt in Recovery Console, you should be able to type(Where "Yourusername" is the exact name that's listed in your Windows Explorer.):

cd C:\Documents and Settings\Yourusername\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

then press the "Enter" key..

You should now see the link below in the command line:

C:\Documents and Settings\Yourusername\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Now type:

del *.*

Then press the "Enter" key to remove all files and folders that reside inside the Temporary Internet Files folder.

You also haven't told use whether you were able to run the scans with Malwarebytes or SuperAntispyware? Tried installing them from "normal" Windows and/or Safe Mode? What did they find?

Hope this helps and if you can't reach any of the steps above, please tell us EXACTLY when you're having the issue and EXACTLY what the error says..

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks Griff
by swampf0x / February 27, 2009 2:40 AM PST

Thanks Griff for all your help and sorry for the late response. I worked on the computer for 3 weekends straight and I finally resolved the issue and have the computer running smooth once again.

With your advice on running Malwarebytes I was able to detect a number of viruses and torjans. I found that I had to run Malwarebytes a few times in order for the program to completely kill the trojans and viruses. I also had an auto.inf file that I took days to get rid of and had to google the procedure on how to completely remove it so that it wouldn't spawn itself again. Once I removed these I was able to finally remove all the temp internet files that one or more of these viruses created. It took hours to manually remove even from the command line (there was just that many). Superantispyware also found numerous infections as well. All clean now and running smooth!! Happy

Once again I appreciate your help and thanks for everything!

Shawn

Collapse -
You can't access C:\Documents and Settings from Recovery Con
by DSLAM / March 10, 2009 11:24 PM PDT

Hi Grif,

Just FYI, you can't access C:\Documents and Settings (or much else outside of the C:\Windows directory) from within the XP recovery console.

Regards,
D

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!