Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Taskbar Freezing

by reedhave / October 9, 2005 6:26 AM PDT

I am running Win XP SP2 with 786 MB RAM and a 2.66 GHz Pentium 4. Almost everytime that I use Windows Explorer (which is daily) my taskbar freezes up, so I cant use it. I emailed someplace when it started doing it and they said to uninstall SP2 and remove all spyware and adware and reinstall, and I did that and I runs scans almost every night with either Nortan AntiVirus, Microsoft AntiSpyware, Ad-aware SE, or Spybot search and destroy, so I am keeping my system clean. Any suggestions on what this problem could be or how to fix it?
Thanks,
Corey

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Taskbar Freezing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Taskbar Freezing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try EWIDO.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2005 6:41 AM PDT

EWIDO (from download.com) seems to find things I've had to ask people to dig for in HIJACKTHIS logs and forums. Try that one.

-> It could be something else, but your post didn't tell much. For instance, the forum note was ignored or is not showing for you.

Bob

Collapse -
Bob...
by reedhave / October 12, 2005 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Try EWIDO.

I got EWIDO and it fond a lot of stuff and got rid of them. So far I have tried to freeze the taskbar by doiong what i thought was doing it and it hasn't froze yet. I believe four of the programs were in the system32 file in the c17b6s.dll archieve. Should I go about this remove the whole archieve? If so, what is a safe way to do this. Should I just have EWIDO do it? I am hesitant to remove it because it seems like an important file.

Corey

Collapse -
If things seem fine, I let EWIDO remove it from it's
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2005 6:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Bob...

I let EWIDO take care of it's own quarentine files. I do same for other such products.

Glad to see it killed what pest there was in the machine.

Bob

Collapse -
So its ok to...
by reedhave / October 12, 2005 7:18 AM PDT

So it is OK to have EWIDO delete that archieve?

Corey

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yes. I do that after a few days.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2005 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: So its ok to...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.