HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows task bar problems

by scruffy dog / October 10, 2005 4:06 AM PDT

Hoping someome can help me with my problem.

I am using Windows XP. The task bar in XP has suddenly doubled in size, and I can not drag it down to a single line the ususal way.

I have right clicked properties and tried to use the normal setings. The only way I can get it down to the normal size is if I disable quick launch. I have also went into the tool bar options, and have not had any success.

Thank you in advance fir any suggestions that anyone may have.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows task bar problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows task bar problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Things to try
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 10, 2005 4:24 AM PDT

Hi Scruffy.

Try these, if you haven't already.

Is the Taskbar locked? Right click it, unlock if it is.

How many icons are there in your Quick Launch toollbar? You may need to reduce the number if too large.

Can you "drag" the Quick Launch divider to the right at all?

See if that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Try this repair tool.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2005 4:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
More options for ya!!!!
by spy HH / October 10, 2005 4:46 AM PDT

Hi buddy,

This problem its simple, and Those Options that you saw in markflax's post. They are the possible solution.

The indicaded number of quick launch object are 3, But sometimes we put some more to have more access.

Here's a thing you can do to have some icons acessible at anytime, (they'll be like in the quicklaunch):

1.Make a folder into your desktop.
2.create shorcuts of the things you mostly use inside this folder.
2.once you've finished, drag and drop the folder into one of the ledges of your desktop, (where your screen ends.)
3. You'll see that a sidebar will appear with all the icons you've selected.
4.Now custumize your sidebar/taskbar. Right click an empty area of your sidebar, in the little menu you'll see the options checkmarked.
Here are the funtions for each option you'll see:

-View: There you'll decide if you want to see large or small icons on your sidebar.

-Open Folder: this will open the folder in the entire view.

-Show Text: if its marked, it'll show the names of the icons or files or whatever its showed. if not, it'll show only the icons.

-Show Title: it's for you to decide if you want the name of your folder to be shown or not at the top of the sidebar.

-Close toolbar: Click here when you dont want to have the side bar anymore. ((you can always put it back dragging and dropping the folder into the enddd of your screen again))

-Always on top: This feature its really cool because when its marked, it allows the sidebar to stay on top of any window.

-Auto Hide: Other cool feature, when its enabled, you can have acess to the toolbar when you roll the mouse into the place that the sidebar resides, but when you are not using it, the sidebar hides it self. >>>- a great combination of options that i would recomend is : auto hide marked and always on top option. This is grat because you can have access anytime and it wont be bothering there all the time.

This is enough information to solve your possible problem, if you have any doubts, just ask.

KP

Collapse -
Here's more possible fixes
by Tufenuf / October 10, 2005 5:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks to everyone
by scruffy dog / October 10, 2005 7:49 AM PDT

Thank you to everyone who responded to this post.

The fix is listed here, and really appreciate the info. I used the one that was listed in PC Magazine before I tried downloading anything.

Scruffy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Scruffy, Glad it's fixed & Glad we could help
by Tufenuf / October 10, 2005 7:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks to everyone
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.