Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

\windows\system32\config\system corrupt or missing message

by ddJelly / August 5, 2010 1:49 AM PDT

IBM/ XP pro/ pentium 4/ 8 gig hd
message reads;
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair this file by starting the Windows Setup using the original Set up CD-ROM. Selcect 'r' at the fist screen to start repair.

Sounds simple enough, only problem is the pc will not run or acknowledge the cd-rom. I've tried a diskette and get knocked into dos and all it wants to do is tell me that I'm a bad file destination applicator. I have tried to get into C:drive D:drive didn't know I had a B:drive til now, but A:drive is not much help either. I have only once got into safe mode and I tried to change the a drive startup to d:drive which is my cd-rom but that was of no help either. Could someone instruct me as to what the sam hill I should do here? I turned off a perfectly good working computer one day and turned on to this nightmare the next day. Any advice would be appreciated and thank you in advance to your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: \windows\system32\config\system corrupt or missing message
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: \windows\system32\config\system corrupt or missing message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why not fix the CD-ROM issue?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 2:40 AM PDT

Some owners balk at fixing the hardware so let's see if you would fix the hardware here.

IBM made many machines so share the model number or better yet a link to that model.
Bob

Collapse -
modle and type
by ddJelly / August 6, 2010 2:55 AM PDT

model and type is 8187F1U IBM Think Center with IBM Rev:2.4 on the board. Is this what you mean?

Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2010 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: modle and type

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-51144 shows this to be a very standard IDE CDROM or CDRW or DVD or DVDRW drive.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4VAPZ8

Your customer needs to try a cd lens cleaner, a duplicate of the boot CDs and if that fails has to decide if replacing the drive is worth it.

Example cost at http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=TS-H192C&cat=CDR for a CD-ROM.

Bob

Collapse -
Running a CD from boot up
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 2:48 AM PDT

will often need a visit to the BIOS first, to set the boot order to see the CD ROM drive at the top of the list of boot drives. Otherwise the BIOS will attempt to boot from what ever is top of the list, normally the hard drive in older machines, and miss the CD drive.

Mark

Collapse -
running a cd boot up
by ddJelly / August 6, 2010 3:02 AM PDT

I have tried to do this. Perhaps my inexperience is hampering my abilities to achieve the needed wording. I managed to get into safe mode and all I found out there was that there are issues with several files all with prefix
multi(0)disk(0)rdosl(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\...
files are
\htoskrnl.exe
\hal.dll
\KDCOM.DLL
\BOOTVID.dll
\config\system
\config\system.log

if this is of any help or assistance.

Collapse -
sorry
by ddJelly / August 6, 2010 3:35 AM PDT
In reply to: running a cd boot up

prefix should read
multi(0) disk(0) rdisk(0) partition(1) \WINDOWS\system 32\

Collapse -
That's a first.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2010 3:39 AM PDT
In reply to: sorry

I've never seem a "system 32" with a space in it.

Computers get cranky over little things like that.

Collapse -
space
by ddJelly / August 6, 2010 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: That's a first.

again my apologies for using my thumbs. I have somehow managed to get into the recovery console but it seems to have hung up?

Collapse -
One little thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2010 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: space

I'm missing some details but some have those USB keyboards that may or may not work in the recovery console. I keep a PS2 keyboard around or look in the BIOS for "USB KBD SUPPORT" (or similar.)
Bob

Collapse -
details
by ddJelly / August 6, 2010 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: One little thing.

which little details would you like to know? I'll answer as best I can. I am not using a usb keyboard.

Collapse -
So it has a PS2 Keyboard, boots then hangs at the console.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2010 5:01 AM PDT

This sounds like an old machine issue. You can try the usual like cleaning the heat sinks, installing fresh heat sink compound, using ONE STICK OF RAM and leaving the case cover off.

BE SURE to inspect for BAD CAPS as this is one of the signs. Google bad caps.

At this point it reads just like a machine that needs repair or TLC.
Bob

Collapse -
an oldy but a goody
by ddJelly / August 6, 2010 5:25 AM PDT

lol it IS an old machine HOWEVER my son replaced the hard drive with the 8meg hardrive last year this time when he was here for a visit( he is 3000km away:( .)If it matters the pc has two fans in it, heat sink? bad caps? you lost me here, but I can take the cover off. I warned you I am not good at this stuff.:P

Collapse -
The cover off trick
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2010 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: an oldy but a goody

Is an old trick to avoid cleaning of heat sinks and can get a cranky machine back.

The 8GB drive is not a good sign. Those are mostly for 2000 and beyond. I wouldn't trust one even if it passed a drive test for long.
Bob

Collapse -
yay!
by ddJelly / August 6, 2010 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: The cover off trick

No I wouldn't trust an 8 meg pc either lol. I removed the cover, blew out the fans and gave it another go. I am sending this through MY pc! You are a life saver! Thank you Bob. Your help was Greatly appreciated!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.