Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows style problem..............

Some time ago I booted up my computer,to find that my XP switched to Windows classic style,I didn't take it seriously so I went to properties to change when I get an error message saying there is a problem with run32.dll,not only that,but the visual styles can't load I assume,becuase of run32.dll,so now I'm stuck with the piece of s*** style,can anyone help?

(I don't have skinning software,so I dont think that's a problem)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows style problem..............
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows style problem..............
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What is the exact error message?

In reply to: Windows style problem..............

Exact wording please, and any error codes.

Have you had a virus recently, and if so did your anti-virus detect it and quarantine it?

If your run32.dll is missing you can replace it with the XP CD, guidance here;
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=812340

Mark

Collapse -
Error Message

In reply to: What is the exact error message?

Well there is a really long error message,but here is one of them that isn't that long: "the visual styles did not load becuase the file failed to load."

Collapse -
In addition

In reply to: Error Message

Collapse -
Yea ok..................

In reply to: In addition

Im only 13 I dont understand any of this,I have 8 F's in school,im in 8th grade,I dont understand any of this

Collapse -
OK

In reply to: Yea ok..................

Maybe run some scans,LINK

Tom

Collapse -
Run32.dll?

In reply to: Windows style problem..............

This is the first time I've ever heard of this file, so I checked it out and sure enough, it is very real and actually exists on some computers; ...but not mine. I'm running win XP SP1. My operating system uses rundll32.exe. I also discovered that run32.dll is often associated with virus problems; as to why, I don't know. I'm not familiar with this file.

Which XP(SP1 or 2)? build are you using, Home Edition? ...Media Center, ...Windows CE(Client Edition for networking)? ...Professional? ...Other? Does your computer have active networking modules such as a client keylogger or FTP program running resident? This kind of background activity is often the cause of visual style reversion to Windows Classic.

>Trublu

Collapse -
I guess................

In reply to: Run32.dll?

I think I have SP1 I guess,I have Windows Home Edition,idk what keylogger or FTP or program running resident are.

Collapse -
I'm only guesing here, but...

In reply to: I guess................

To find out what programs are running resident on your computer, hit <ctrl> <alt> <del> at the same time. This should bring up XP's Task Manager window. The background processes running on your computer will be listed under the 'Processes' tab. Included among these will be several resident programs. The difference between resident programs, system services and client servers is somewhat difficult to discern unless you're familiar with operating systems. For the most part resident programs are called from the registry during boot to 'Welcome' screen and during loggon to desktop from mainly two keys(but there are others as well such as 'Notify'),
1) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run/(string entry, REG_SZ, filepath name),
2) HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run(string entry, REG_SZ, filepath name),
whereas, service modules and drivers are mostly called from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet.

If you look down the list of modules in Task Manager, you can search and trace individual processes to their root location. Resident programs almost always trace to C:\Program files\(Name of Application folder). System services trace to C:\Windows\System32\(server executible file name). You will also find any applications you have presently opened on the same list, but these are easy to distinguish.

FTP(File Transfer Protocol) and TFTP(Trivial File Transfer Protocol) programs such as those using MFC require that your desktop settings and fonts be compatible with networking file exchange servers which usually default to client language and secure database specific display procedures unless otherwise set; Windows Classic Style was especially designed to do just that(a throwback to Windows 2000), as well as impose all necessary administrative restrictions and allowances as per individual setting. Unless you have FULL permissions for ALL settings, networking controls can continue to reset your XP style back to Classic.

However, this may not at all be your problem. You can check to see by right-clicking just above your 'Start' bar and selecting 'Themes' when the Display Properties window appears. Under 'Themes' you'll see a pull-down arrow; click on it and select "Windows XP," and then, 'Apply'. If the settings don't change, you need to go to your control panel and select 'System'. Click on the 'Advanced' tab, under 'Performance' click on the settings button. Under 'Visual Effects' select 'Custom' and then choose what you like and click on the 'Apply' button. Go back and redo the instructions for 'Display Properties'. If this doesn't work, you might well have either an active virus or a viral residue that needs to be cleaned up.

I'd like to help you with the error message your getting about "run32.dll," but I can't because I've never seen that file on any computer I've ever worked with.

>Trublu

Collapse -
Wicked Klown

In reply to: I guess................

How to determine which service pack.

Click on the start menu>right-click on my computer>click on properties

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.