Computer Help forum

General discussion

Windows stops reading dvd/cd until reboot! Why?!

by djrobsd / February 2, 2009 3:41 PM PST

On both my Windows XP Pro workstation, and my Vista laptop, the CD/DVD drive will sometimes stop working. It usually happens when I use DVD Shrink to read DVD's into my computer. When this happens, I have to reboot! This is very annoying and inconvenient. The drive still exists, but when you put a disc in, it doesn't read it.

Is there a way to refresh the system so it sees the cd/dvd drive without having to reboot?? I tried going into device manager and doing a refresh, but that doesn't work.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows stops reading dvd/cd until reboot! Why?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows stops reading dvd/cd until reboot! Why?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Most common cause? Heat.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2009 11:44 PM PST
Collapse -
Got same issue in Win7
by darkonex / March 9, 2010 11:01 PM PST

That PC cleanup will not help anything. I also have developed this same problem out of the blue in Windows 7. Even stranger is that not only does my DVD-RW quit reading disks, but I cannot mount an image with my virtual drive software and read anything on it. I was initially using Daemon Tools and basically when I had this issue with my physical drive, I also found if I mounted an image with Daemon Tools it mounted it but had the same issue of my physical drive, it didn't actually see anything on the disk! I then thought well maybe Daemon Tools was causing the issue so uninstalled it and installed some VirtualDrive software that is much better I might add, but my problems remain the same. I reboot and it starts working again. No errors to speak of in eventlog. Also oddly enough while I'm having this reading problem, I find I can put in a blank disk and burn something or even put in a retail disk and rip files off it!?!? Doesn't make any sense, and this is coming from a system admin, I have never seen anything like this before.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?