Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Windows STEALTHY Update KB970158

by michael0156 / April 6, 2011 2:56 AM PDT

In March of 2011 this installed on my Vista 32 bit Home Premium laptop without my permission. I couldn't remove it through the control panel as it didn't show in Control Panel Remove Updates Window. When I restored the computer to 3 days before the installation it was still not removed.

In the info tag that comes along with the update there is an invalid microsoft link and the link is structured unlike other KB updates I have viewed.
Normally a KB info link is
"http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2505189" which works
KB970158 link is this
"http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=970158" which doesn't work
Plugging the stealthy KB number into the good link structure
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970158 also doesn't work

There is no record of this update on the MS website and googling doesn't give any good info. It reinstalled 04 April 2011 (according to my Contol Panel Remove Installed Updates Window), but the record of installed updates shows an additional installation date of 22 March 2011. This is after my morning reboot

Here are the details from the 2 installs I have on my computer now

Update for Windows (KB970158)
Installation date: ?3/?22/?2011 9:00 AM
Installation status: Successful
Update type: Important
Kernel-Mode Driver Framework
More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=970158
Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

Update for Windows (KB970158)
Installation date: ?4/?4/?2011 1:23 AM
Installation status: Successful
Update type: Important
Kernel-Mode Driver Framework
More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=970158
Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

This time the install of KB970158 occurred with a batch of other updates, but it was not listed when it gave me a choice of updates to install.

Is this a valid update or some type of virus/spyware?

Why is the install of this particular update stealthy?

If this is a valid update why is there not a KB article on it?

On the internet there are many scattered reports of the unauthorized installation, no KB article and no one with any reasonable explanation for what is happening with this update.

Three replies from microsoft support were broken english instructions on how to view or remove updates, never addressing my concerns. In my last email to them I requested an escalation of the matter to someone who spoke english as a first language or that worked in America.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows STEALTHY Update KB970158
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows STEALTHY Update KB970158
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well, its certainly a strange one.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 6:34 AM PDT

I Googled that KB, KB970158 and it seems you are not alone. There are a number of others who have reported the same mystery. Its not a new update, some of the others posted about this in 2010, but like you say, no clear answers, and no trace of that KB at Microsoft.

I'm not sure if anyone else here will know anything that Google doesn't know, but it's possible.

Mark

Collapse -
Stealthy update
by manmur / April 6, 2011 10:50 AM PDT

I looked on my own PC for that stealthy up-date on my own PC (Vista Home Premium SP2). I did not see it at all.

I'm guessing that this effects some people and not others. As to why I do not know. Like Mark, I also Google it to see what infomation I can find. Almost all of the site that I looked it on the 1st page all asked the same thing. "What is this update?".

Collapse -
Follow-up with "Micorsoft" outsourced technical support
by michael0156 / April 14, 2011 1:29 AM PDT

I just got off the phone with a microsoft tech in India. The 45 minute conversation was fruitless and raised more issues. The tech said this install was originally released in 2007 and subsequently removed from the valid updates lists. It was then put back into the loop in March 2010, but he was unable to explain why the update installed without asking permission. He then claimed the update was again removed from the valid updates list and put back in the loop in March of 2011. That was when I encountered the problem for the first time (noticing the install without getting permission). It then reinstalled itself on 04 April 2011, again without my permission.

The tech refused to escalate the problem after recommending that I go to Microsoft answers to find a solution. He then provided me with a link to a "solution" at Microsoft, only to discover that I had made the last entry to this non-solution

After repeatedly trying to get him to firmly deny an escalation of the problem he finally conceded that he will escalate it and I will get a call on 15 April (tomorrow) from someone who is not in his office (he was obviously being talked to at this point).

He had no solution other than what he had googled on the internet. This is not support, this was not microsoft, this was further outsourcing and avoidance of solving a problem. And the young man was using his imagination to boot, hoping I would just walk away from this problem.... but that's not gonna happen

It would seem to be a simple thing to post a valid solution or explanation for this somewhere on the microsoft website, if this is a valid update.

Could it be that no one has been persistent enough to actually get past the hired help in India or Pakistan or the Phillipines and that this is an actual threat?

At this point I simply do not know, and neither does anyone out on the internet

Michael Polidori
I ain't afraid of no ghost

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!