PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Windows Startup and Shutdown Music

No big problem, but even though my other sounds seems to to working, I am not getting the Windows music when I start and shutdown Windows XP. I went into sounds on the control panel and the music works when I test it there. I uninstalled my sound card in device manager and then restarted and windows put it back but still no music.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Startup and Shutdown Music
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Startup and Shutdown Music
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Windows Startup and Shutdown Music

In reply to: Windows Startup and Shutdown Music

I really don't know what your problem might be, but, just for the heck of it, have you tried using different WAV files for the startup and/or shutdown sounds? It might help you further diagnose the problem.

James

Collapse -
Startup/shutdown sound

In reply to: Re: Windows Startup and Shutdown Music

Hi, I am guessing that you have installed TweakUI, and if so, check that the option 'beep on errors' is ticked. For some strange reason unchecking this removes the startup and shutdown sounds.

Happy

Let us know

Messa

Collapse -
Windows Startup and Shutdown Music

In reply to: Windows Startup and Shutdown Music

auggief hi try this, also anyone else who has the same problem with there startup and shutdown sounds in xp. Click start, click run, type regedit and enter. click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER to highlight it, then in the right plain where it says (default) REG_SZ value not set right click on (default) click delete and your problem hopefully will be sorted Happy Its an easy fix usually happens after a bsod or a faulty download, if your not sure about changing things in your registry than i would recommend you back it up first before doing anything, but like i said before its an easy fix and if you follow what i have said you should be ok.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.