Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows SP2

OS Windows XP professinal. After downloading SP2 over 2days (I'm on dial up)I proceeded to insall & was told insallation was complete & to click restart for new configuration files to be updated.It started as normal then hung for an hour before I had to turn it off at the main switch (it wouldn't shut down).When I restarted I had to go to 'Safe Mode'& this gigantic list came up!So went to control panel & deleted SP2 which was heartbreaking after the trouble I went to download it.Had to go to restore & put yesterdays date (Sept 1st)It might just be me but my 'Dial Up' seems slower & surfing doesn't seem any way as fast as it was.I downloaded driver for modem but hasn't made much difference.Is this SP2 really essential?
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Bob Phillips

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows SP2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows SP2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Windows SP2

In reply to: Windows SP2

You had an windows XP SP2 installation failure and you reverted back. Now, the fact that your modem connection speed it's slower, could be a subjective impression.

Instead of downloading SP2 using dial up, you should've used the SP2 on CD, so you can order it online, or find a friend with high speed connection, download the full version and burn it on CD or search for it in a major "brick and mortar" store.

Regarding the SP2 installation problem, you should describe in detail your PC's hardware configuration including the external devices. Also, provide a direct clickable link to your motherboard's model webpage or for a brand name PC the webpage of your model's configuration.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Windows SP2

Sorry Cetin,should have included everything.Will do as you suggest & get a mate to copy on high speed connection.Regards Bob Phillips

Collapse -

My firm belief is that, if whatever your are presently running is working fine then why waste time installing another issue of the same OS. On the other hand, if you have a spare computer then go for it and see what additional benefits you would have from running SP2. I'v been running SP1 with all the critical upadtes only, and have not encountered any problems yet. Sure I have SP2 on CD, and it will stay there till I could think of a very good reason for updating my current system. I have not come across any operating system that has been released that has been free from bugs. So, as I have said, why waste time and energy, not forgetting the frustration that one goes through installing SP2 from all the reports I've had so far.
All I can say is "Good Luck" with SP2 if that's really what you wish to install. My only advice here is not to run it over SP1 ..... it's a disaster !
Cheers.

Collapse -

Ah, but Dartpo, think of the millions that are installing SP2 successfully and not having problems. These forums may show some people have problems (it is probably so small to even figure a percentage) so they come to the forums for help. IMO most problems is that there is something wrong with their computer. IMO a computer that is well maintained without past problems or a new computer will successful install SP2. I believe the techies and pros who work with computers daily have indicated in these forums about not having problems installing SP2 on many computers.

But of course there are some problems after successful installation on a well maintained and problem free computer with running certain programs. MS has identified in a couple MSKB's those programs that have problems with SP2. If you have been around long enough you can recall that there were program compatibility issues when WinXP came out or perhaps remembering those few that had problems when IE 5.01, 5.02 etc. came out. Most of the program compatibility problems were fixed in the past by online connection with the program originator and downloading their patch for the new whatever or MS provided a fix solution.

Running SP2 over SP1 is what almost eveyone is doing. Wouldn't it be assumed that everyone has their computer up to date on WinXP by already having SP1, but not necessarily all the many updates since. SP2 replaces SP1, as after installation, all reference to SP-1 and the numerous updates that were shown in Add/Remove are gone.

Installing SP2 on a dial-up takes 4 hours and 22 minutes according to MS. I would suggest using the free CD, it only took a week for me to receive it, and a total of 42 minutes to install. For those that may have a problem downloading with DSL or cable, I would suggest using the CD that MS will mail out if asked.

You have not even installed your CD. Gee, if you have a problem just uninstall it and get your computer fixed up.

JR

Collapse -

well ive installed it on 45 computers now all over sp1,
not 1 glitch.
your firms really silly next thing that will happen they will get hit and blame ms and if they installed sp2 wouldnt happen.
so i say the comps that have probs its those comps not sp2.

Collapse -

I had the same download probs, and when it 'held' on updating for nearly 2 hours, I nearly turned the machine off.
I can only suggest you wait.
Try ctrl/alt/delete to see if the cpu is at 100% it helps to know the thing is at least thinking.
Peter

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.