Question

Windows shutoff timer versus my shutoff timer

I am running Windows 7, Home Edition.

I monitor a webcam and my computer takes a picture once a minute. This process can last from 7 to 10 hours. ( For the curious I collect ships that [*** through the Port Phiiip heads in Victoria, Australia.)

When I set my timer for 8 hours and check on it in the morning, the computer is off as expected, and a glow is pulsing around the power button. When I press the power button, the computer comes to life but it does not boot from a cold start, but seems to be on standby..

When the unit went on standby it shut down the timer that I had set. and the program that was taking the pictures. As soon as I powered it up again the timer and the photo program took up where it left off when the unit went on standby.

The solution is to lengthen out the time for the computer to delay its standby sufficiently to allow my timer to shut the machine down.

Any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Windows shutoff timer versus my shutoff timer
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows shutoff timer versus my shutoff timer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Well that's a deep subject.

On many PCs if they are asleep then they do not wake because Windows is not running. So why would you expect it to wake up?

Let's do a little research. But I can't offer any suggestions because the make/model of this PC is unknown.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-7-backup-does-not-wake-the-computer-for/4e4a8e85-f97b-4daf-9df5-b5f69267c04d

Again, waking from sleep is very dependent on the machine and if the person/company that made it got all the drivers right.
Bob

- Collapse -
Well that's a deep subject

Thank you for your reply.

It is not that I want to wake up the computer, I want to extend the time it takes for it to go into standby mode. The timer I am using already overrides the Microsoft setting for standby with is set at 30 minutes. You are right, it is the machine itself that takes it into the standby mode and overrides my timer at about 128 minutes.

I am using a Dell machine that I picked up second hand when my HP suddenly called a halt to everything. It came loaded with Windows 7, and is a 32 bit unit.

elder-76.

- Collapse -
How I solved this one.

CNET Forums