General discussion

Windows sees 2gb ram, CPU-z reports 3gb

Recently upgraded my CPU from athlon 64 3700+ to Athlon FX55.
Motherboard is Asus 8Vdeluxe (rev 1.xx)
With the 3700+ (which I believe only supports single channel memory) the full 3gb (2 x 1gb sticks & 2 matched 512mb sticks, all PC3200) installed showed correctly in the bios and My computer/properties, and cpu-z as running single channel.

Installed the FX55, nothing else changed, and the bios and my computer/properties both show 2gb, while cpu-z correctly reports the 3gb as running dual channel.

I've tried every possible combination of ram size/slots/channels, with very varied reported sizes - cpu-z is always accurate in what it reports, but the bios is inconsitent.

The only thing I can see that may be causing this is that one of the 1GB sticks is generic and shows 3 JEDEC frequencies, whereas the other 3 all just show the 200mhz

I've tried lots of different settings in the bios (version 1018.002)but nothing seems to make a difference. Machine runs very well and quite a bit faster, but I'm starting to see page file usage & delays, and I'd like the full 3gb to be used.

OS is XP pro SP2.

Any ideas will be gratefully received.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Windows sees 2gb ram, CPU-z reports 3gb
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows sees 2gb ram, CPU-z reports 3gb
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You're right, it's right but

That doesn't mean you can fix this. I too had a run in with over 2GB on the AMD 3700+ machines. I won't go over the boot.ini settings or registry entries to limit RAM but this is a well worn area except when it comes to this CPU and that much RAM.

Good luck with the BOOT.INI and registry settings. If this was a fresh install you would not see those settings as an issue. But some run registry cleaners and I can't explain why those add that.

But here's a nugget. CPU-Z can report the actual stick sizes and NOT what the system can use. You could lose a lot of time on that and I can only share that you won't be fixing that to report more than 2GB on the AMD 3700+ on most systems.

Again, the BIOS is your clue here it's the usual chipset limitation. If this must be fixed, change the chipset.

Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks Bob but . .

I think you misunderstood - the 3700+ ran fine with the full 3gb (single channel) with no messing to boot ini or reg files.

It's the FX55 cpu that I'm trying to get working with the full 3GB. (I've tried the switches for the virtual memory limits but they had no effect)

It's a very clean system, OS is on it's own drive, all apps on another , all user files on a third, virtually no problems with it over the last 2 years. It hibernates every night, and is rebooted every month.

I was wondering about going back to an older bios, although the current version ran the 3700+ no probs.

- Collapse -
AHA.

The memory controller is partially or entirely in the AMD CPU. So you'll want to change that CPU back to the one that works.

Yup. Seem that too!
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info