Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Windows Secutiy Alert-Anti Virus

by GhOst-AdVance / July 21, 2007 9:27 AM PDT

I just did a clean install of Windows Vista Business, and got the updates. I then went to install AVG, and updated AVG, but Widows said that AVG was still out of date. I hit check for updates, and it said that I have the latest updates installed. But the AVG system tray icon was blacked out and said that it was out of date!

So I thought it was AVG, so I installed Avast. same problem. I open Avast to get the updates, it does. When I close it, the system tray icon and Windows security say that it is out of date. Anyone know what the problem is?

-Please Help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Secutiy Alert-Anti Virus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Secutiy Alert-Anti Virus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Regarding AVG......
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 21, 2007 12:17 PM PDT
Internal virus database is out-of-date, however no update file is available

Please try to follow these steps:

1. Please check the date/time settings on your computer (right-click on the clock on the task bar (in the right bottom corner of the screen) and choose the "Adjust Date/Time" option.

2. If the date/time settings are OK, you have possibly used more than a year old AVG Free Edition installation file. You can check your AVG Free Edition program version here: AVG Free Edition->Information->About AVG.

To solve this problem, please do the following:

* download the latest AVG Free Edition installation file, run this downloaded installation file
* choose the "Repair installation" option from the three possibilities offered
* finish that process
* if a computer restart is needed, please restart the computer
* update AVG Free Edition virus bases

It should then be OK. Generally, for a new AVG Free Edition installation we recommend you to use the latest version of the AVG Free Edition installation file. You can download it here.

Found it here: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/faq/us/frt/0/num/618#faq_618
Collapse -
that didn't help
by GhOst-AdVance / July 21, 2007 2:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Regarding AVG......

Those steps didnt solve the problem. I dont think its anything to do with AVG, because i get the same results from Avast also.

Collapse -
Just a thought.....
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 21, 2007 3:28 PM PDT
In reply to: that didn't help

in the AVG free forum, I also found this:

Another issue again related to UAC ( again this applies to almost all programs ) ... Like previous versions of Windows you need to install within a user account that has admin privilages... but in Vista... an admin user isn't running programs in full admin mode but like a regular user... so you need to add one step to the install process.... right click on the Install program and select "Run as administrator" to help resolve many issues. Since you can also uninstall AVG using its Install file ( and its the recommended method even ) you should also use this option then as well...

Another Vista issue... Microsoft is still addressing issues in this version of Windows... always completely update it prior to installing anything.

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?1,103479,page=1,backpage=3,sv=

Did you run the Install file as mentioned above?

Collapse -
Hummmmm,
by tomron / July 21, 2007 3:31 PM PDT

Since you have avg anti virus and avast anti virus this could be the issue.More then one anti virus could cause a conflict,try disabling one and then update.

Also make sure your firewall allows avg and avast.

Tom

Collapse -
the firewall allows avg/avast
by GhOst-AdVance / July 21, 2007 5:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Hummmmm,

I did not have them installed at the same time. I installed AVG, and it didn't work so I uninstalled and installed avg, still nothing. I did update before installing anything

Collapse -
It could be Vista-related..
by Carol~ Moderator / July 21, 2007 8:31 PM PDT

and it "seems" to be, from what I've read. No consolation, but you are not alone. I don't the "why's or wherefore's", but I've also read the same thing about two other AV software, in addition to the two below. Despite the fact that it may be Vista-related, perhaps you'll find something, in the below threads. I'm not sure whether or not, it's your identical issue, but it may point you in the right direction. The first offers an answer, while the second thread you may have to read through.

Vista Security Center not recognizing AVG Free

Windows Security Center doesn't recognize Live OneCare Anti-Virus <-- For Vista

Carol

Collapse -
FWIW..
by Carol~ Moderator / July 21, 2007 9:35 PM PDT

The same solution suggested at the AVG Forum, is also being suggested at the MS Newsgroups for Vista Security, for LiveCare. (The title of the thread reads, "Windows Security Center does not identify AntiVirus") Whether you will have success, I don't know, but it's worth a try.

Right-click Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. Type the following command:

winmgmt /verifyrepository

If the system returns "WMI repository is not consistent", run this command:

winmgmt /salvagerepository

The first time you run this it will fail. It will issue stop command to the services causing it to fail. It might take a couple minutes for the services to shut down. Run the command again. You actually may have to run it 3 times before it finally runs and completes on its own.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.