Question

windows security warning (Cookies) HELP

I keep getting this error almost every few minutes about Windows Security and making sure I know that websites are putting cookies onto my computer. I have to press Yes or No and even if I press either one they continually pop back up. I am soooooooooooo frustrated and unsure of what to do. I have virus protection in the form of AVG and PC Doctor too. I am not sure why this started happening. I tried a system restore to an earlier date but it still happens. How do I get this thing to stop popping up when I am on the internet? It's driving me insane!!!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: windows security warning (Cookies) HELP
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: windows security warning (Cookies) HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Please tell us the full message

"Exact words" please.

Windows Security may be one of these "Windows 7 Security 2011" rogue anti-virus scams that are circulating, (there are many variants), and if so, follow the guidance and links in this forum thread post here;
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6132_102-5111771.html

(If you want to see the full discussion, click the "Click here to view the full discussion thread and its replies" just above the post window).

AVG is good, but I don't know if I can say the same for PC Doctor. It is not one I am aware of, and is not recommended in these forums.

In my view you would do better to uninstall that and install the two free versions of Malwarebytes Anti-malware and SUPERAntiSpyware.

I hope that helps.

Mark

- Collapse -
I wrote the exact error down...here it is...

The error that continually pops up is...

"Windows Security Warning

To allow this website to provide information personalized for you will you allow it to put a small file (called a cookie) on your computer?

Yes/No?"

I am running windows Vista.

I can't figure this out! It's driving me insane!!! I get that same error almost every few minutes when I am online. It's so strange!!

Hope that helps.

Any info to fix this would be appreciated.

- Collapse -
Yep I agree with Kees

This is a "Browser warning" and is probably because your browser security or privacy settings are set too high.

Most web sites attempt to install a cookie onto your hard drive when you visit them, but if your security settings are too high then the browser will warn you before allowing this to happen.

You can lower security in Internet Explorer's Tools > Internet Options > Security tab and/or Privacy tab.

In IE9 the Tools option looks like a gear wheel.

Mark

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: cookies

What version of what browser do you use?
What settings does it have for handling cookies?

For example, in IE9 under the advanced button in the privacy tab of Tools>Options you can set IE to ask you about every cookie. If that's set it's to be expected that you get such a message.

Kees

CNET Forums