Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Windows Security Upgrade won't load

by jomo67 / February 14, 2009 11:51 PM PST

I am trying to download audio books onto my new MP3 player. I downloaded the software from Overdrive Media Console and in order to dowload book titles, I need to download the Microsoft Secuirty Upgrade. When I click on this, nothing happens. My system has WMP 11 and Vista. I've read many other blogs from others who have also had problems but could find no solution. When I purchased my current system, I originally had problems with the 64 bit browser being incompatible with Adobe Flash player and Dell reconfigured the system to a 32 bit browser. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Security Upgrade won't load
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Security Upgrade won't load
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Questions only.
by Kees Bakker / February 14, 2009 11:57 PM PST

What exactly do you have to download?
Where can we read (link please) what you have to do?
What exactly do you click on (if it's on a site, link please + clear description what you click on)?
What is 'Overdrive Media Console'?
What mp3-player do you have exactly (make and model)?
What's your current OS (Vista Home 32 or Vista Ultimate 64 or such)?
What exactly did Dell reconfigure (reconfiguring the system to a browser isn't a very clear description as you hopefully understand)?

Sorry to be of no more help. But maybe, once some things are more clear than they are now, somebody else will.

Kees

Kees

Collapse -
Microsoft Security Upgrade
by jomo67 / February 15, 2009 12:40 AM PST
In reply to: Questions only.

Overdrive Media Console is the software necessary to download audio books free from the library. On that site, I click on tools, then Microsoft security upgrade and nothing happens. My MP3 Player is a 4GB Creative Zen. My current system has Vista SP1 Home premium 64-Bit edition. As to your last question about what Dell did to make my system compatible with Adobe Flash Player, they took control of my system and fixed the problem after three attempts to get it right and I couldn't tell you exactly what they did but only that they told me it was now a 32 bit browser in order to be compatible with the current Adobe Flashplayer.

Collapse -
Re: installing a patch
by Kees Bakker / February 15, 2009 2:56 AM PST

I can't see a site in your post, just a product name. So "that site" isn't really defined. Try again?

Kees

Collapse -
Windows Security Upgrade also won't load for Overdrive.
by mls78 / March 5, 2009 4:46 AM PST

I have exactly the same problem as jomo67. But I am using a Toshiba laptop operating Vista (64). I also have WMP 11.

Overdrive is software which one can download from many public library websites as well as from www.overdrive.com. To quote their website: "OverDrive Media Console is a free application designed to use the OverDrive titles available for download at many public library and retail websites." It's kind of like Audible, only for free, and using it lets you listen to audiobooks on a portable mp3 device.

Once the Overdrive software is downloaded one is also required to download a WMP security upgrade using the tools function on the Overdrive Screen. If you don't have this upgrade, you cannot download any audiobooks.

Although I have downloaded the upgrade successfully using Windows XP, I cannot do it in this environment.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate hearing them. Thank you.

Collapse -
solution found!
by bvjones54 / May 22, 2009 11:59 AM PDT

support@overdrive.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are sorry for the problems that you are receiving. Please use the
> link below to attempt to manually upgrade the Security Upgrade for the
> OverDrive Media Console. Please note that you have to use Internet
> Explorer to access this link. Please let us know if this helps or if
> further assistance is needed. Thank you.
>
> http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Indivsite/en/indivit.asp
>
> Sincerely,
> The OverDrive Support Team

Collapse -
Microsoft security upgrade fix
by jomo67 / May 23, 2009 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: solution found!

Thank-you. I found a fix a couple of weeks back and am enjoying listening to books on my MP3 device. Your service is very much appreciated.

Collapse -
Still bad
by MikeM3223 / September 9, 2009 12:52 PM PDT

My upgrade block is still greyed out. Please help.

Collapse -
Windows 7 too
by 4marc / November 10, 2009 6:48 AM PST
In reply to: Still bad

I just upgraded recently from XP to windows 7 and encountered the exact same problem. This was the solution thank you for posting this. Just a quick note it said "Use internet explorer" and you have to it will not work for chrome or firefox. This is why you are having issues with the upgrade box being greyed out

Marc

Collapse -
Still having problems
by amyinlansing / December 26, 2009 11:51 AM PST

I cannot get Overdrive Media Console (OMC) to work on my Windows Vista SP1 64 (It's installed as a x86 program since there is no 64-bit version). To be more specific: from our library's overdrive site (which works fine on my XP machine, as does OMC), you click to download a book and it is supposed to open with OMC. When I do this, OMC reports "Unable to acquire a license to play selected title. A connection to the internet could not be established." After doing the Windows Media Player Security Upgrade as directed above, now it says "Your Windows Media Player Security Version is 2.9.0.1. To re-upgrade the security of your media player make sure you are connected to the internet and click ok. If you have trouble or receive a connection error check your firewall or internet security software to confirm that both Overdrive and WMP can access the Internet." First question--is that the Version number I need? So even after the security upgrade (which apparently I did right), I get the same error message when downloading a book. Also I have tried disabling both my machine's firewalls (I usually use CA Security Center, not Windows Security Center. First I turned off (disabled) both CA Security Center Firewall and Windows Security Center Firewall. I have also tried enabling each firewall (one at a time) and using "program control" to make sure the two programs (WMP11 and Overdrive Media Console) are allowed access to the Internet. So far nothing has helped.

To continue: When (from OMC) I check on the Windows Media Player Security Upgrade and get the above-described error msg (about troubleshooting and firewalls), I click OK in the dialog box, it automatically opens WMP11, which then says it is downloading media access rights, but it tries for a while and opens a box: Media Usage Rights Acquisition, from wm.overdrive.com, and after trying for a several minutes, it doesn't connect. In this window, under "more information" it says "This error (HTTP 500 Internal Server Error) means that the website has a server problem which prevented the website from displaying."

Can you help with this? I'm also contacting Overdrive but I am concerned it has to do with Windows Media Player and the security upgrade that's required but not working. Somewhere in my search for help(I didn't keep track of where) I was advised that the link posted
above (http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Indivsite/)helps with Windows Vista 32-bit but not 64-bit. Grateful for any help--I love overdrive but am trying to move most of my activity to the newer (Vista) machine.

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2009 10:18 PM PST
In reply to: Still having problems

Our office is almost Vista 64 free today. We have one last machine on that (wicked?) version and maybe by 2010 we'll have it upgraded to 7.

That version has been too finicky and taken too much tech time so it has to go.

-> but what about OMC? Your issues with this app point to the usual Vista 64 issues. My lesson was simple. Ditch that version.
Bob

Collapse -
Solution Worked!
by colwellkr / August 22, 2010 10:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
Same issue but problem not fixed
by wildlifebec / September 6, 2010 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Solution Worked!

I have the same problem and opening in IE makes no difference. The Upgrade button is still greyed out. I have Windows Vista and WMP 11. Any suggestions? I've tried pretty much everything

Collapse -
More of the same...
by BasiliskPie / September 14, 2010 4:03 AM PDT

Win7x64... browser choice makes no difference (including IE7x64 & IE8x32).

Collapse -
thanks
by Gwen1111 / June 11, 2011 2:24 PM PDT

This helped me too.

gh

Collapse -
Still A Problem Here
by jmk55412 / September 30, 2011 10:14 PM PDT

I am using an Asus laptop with 64-bit Windows 7 installed.

I am having much the same issue. I was able to get the upgrade only through Internet Explorer, but even then Overdrive will not play any drm files that I download from the library. They download parts normally, but nothing happens when I click play.

It will play the sample wma file.

Any assistance appreciated.

Collapse -
To start.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2011 1:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Still A Problem Here

Please ask such in the Windows 7 forum. You posted in the Vista forum.

Collapse -
Very Unhelpful
by jmk55412 / October 1, 2011 11:23 AM PDT
In reply to: To start.

This thread directly relates to the DRM upgrade for WMP. I see that others are also using Windows 7. It is well known that many Vista issues exist in Windows 7, as they have the same base.

Not a helpful answer at all.

If anyone else has any ideas on why it's still an issue on my laptop, thank you ahead of time for the assistance.

Collapse -
Then we'll have to ask you to post in the right forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2011 4:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Very Unhelpful

This is an old thread and now closed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.