HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Search 4.0 default window size

by jkcarlile / July 9, 2009 6:46 AM PDT

I've started using Windows Search 4.0 instead of "search companion" (Windows old file search). Usually you can change the window settings for an application and press the Ctrl key while closing the app and the window settings for it will be preserved. For instance, the window size (normal, maximized or whatever) at closing will then become the default window size for that application. However, nothing I've tried seems to change the default window size for Windows Search 4.0. There has to be a way to set this in the registry as part of the shell extension (shellex) or something similar but I can't seem to locate the keys that apply to Windows Search. Not a life or death problem, but it is annoying.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Search 4.0 default window size
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Search 4.0 default window size
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Where to next?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2009 12:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks.
by jkcarlile / July 10, 2009 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Where to next?

Thanks Bob. I made a post to the Windows search forum. It looks like it is moderated by someone at Microsoft so hopefully someone there in Redmond will have the answer.

Collapse -
Thanks
by hpjohn11 / July 10, 2009 3:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks.

I tried Search 4 and got disgusted, so I went back to Search 3 which
works perfectly.
hpjohn11

Collapse -
Solution
by vingts / September 3, 2009 1:39 AM PDT

I had the same problem that obviously nobody cares about on the web.
After a little research I came up with the following solution:

1. Start regedit
2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER ==> Software ==> Microsoft ==> Windows Desktop Search ==> WW
3. Change value of "wwuserpos" to 1
4. Change value of "wwusersize" to 1
5. Start Desktop Search and set your favorite Window size
6. Save it by CTRL-Close
7. Restart WDS

This one worked for me; hopefully it does on other machines as well.

Collapse -
Again...
by vingts / September 3, 2009 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Solution

Sorry, my solution above is crap. "ww" obviously means something like workwindow or so and refers to the preview window in the taskbar. The window position of the main window is stored for some (the latest?) searches, however.

I am installing WDS 2.0 and 3.0 right now trying to find the place where the window position is saved. Hopefully, this feature is still supported in 4.0 ...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.