Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows restarts, and restarts, and restarts.....

by ApprenticeDAve / October 15, 2007 11:45 PM PDT

I?m working on a client?s computer with Windows XP Home Edition. A little background first. The client reports that the system got infected, and agrees with my recommendation to Nuke the hard drive and start over fresh. So the fix is easy, I?m just curious as to what is causing this just incase I run into the problem again in the future and the client is not open to Nuking the system.

When you start the system you come to the screen (someone tell me what it is called) where you choose between starting in Normal or Safe Mode, or in the last known configuration that worked. No matter what option you choose, the following happens. The system gets to the point where you see the Windows XP logo with the green horizontal dots running from left to right, and then it reboots and eventually takes you back to the same black screen where you choose Safe Mode or Normal Mode.

Any suggestions?

By the way, just incase anyone is curious as to how I am wiping the hard drive (as if there could possibly be anyone as ?novice? as I) here?s the link.

Thanks,
David

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows restarts, and restarts, and restarts.....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows restarts, and restarts, and restarts.....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"No matter what option you choose, the following happens.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2007 11:56 PM PDT

"No matter what option you choose, the following happens."

The OS has been damaged. You have to set your goal here. Whether to find out what happened or to fix it. Your choice isn't clear here.

To fix it may involve using the XP REPAIR INSTALL (see google.com) or in the worst case, tossing a new drive in to install XP proper to and adding the old drive so the client can get their files out.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by ApprenticeDAve / October 17, 2007 1:29 AM PDT

Hey, that turned out to be some good advice. Thank you!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.