Computer Help forum

General discussion

windows reinstallation question, please help

by sectornine / July 16, 2006 1:00 PM PDT

during windows reinstallation, if the users wishes to format his hardrive he must select the partition and press d, then confirm by pressing L, upon doing so there will be 2 options given:

format drive into ntfs (fast)

format drive into ntfs

After chossing either one of them, the user will be taken to the formatting hardrive screen.

how here are some questions i have:

-how fast is the fast option? is this option worst then the other one

-IF i didn't press d to delete the partition, and insted press "enter", will windows still reformat my hd? or will it just reinstall without formatting my drive?

many thanks for the help, thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows reinstallation question, please help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows reinstallation question, please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not Straight Forward
by terryparker / July 16, 2006 2:16 PM PDT

1. Choosing NTFS (FAST) will save you about 10 minutes (from my experience)
2. If you do not delete your partition, all your old windows files will be moved to a folder called Windows.Old in your Hard Drive.
Not deleting the partition and just installing will take some extra time (from my experience).
3. The best option is to backup all your files and do a clean installation of Windows.
Hope this was helpful!!

Collapse -
how do i
by sectornine / July 16, 2006 3:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Not Straight Forward

well i was in a hurry and i think i'm not sure which of the following option i choose in the windows installation, i'm worried.

how do i know if i choose format hardrive into "ntfs fast" or "ntfs normal"?

i mean windows is already installed so there's noway to check it, unless i reinstall all over again, i heard the fast option is bad for pc since it doesn't extacly format your hd.

so how do i tell which option i choose? is there a way?

also in the partition menu if windows installation, if i didn't press "d" and press "enter" insted, would windows reformat my hardrive at all? or will it just go on installing?

thanks for the help.

Collapse -
Ok
by terryparker / July 17, 2006 12:30 AM PDT
In reply to: how do i

If you do not press "D" then windows will will not delete the old WINDOWS folder but I am only 70% sure that it will not format at all.
It is upto you if you choose NTFS or NTFS(FAST). It doesn't make a big difference to your hard drive. It will still format it!!
Hope this helps!!!

Collapse -
If you still have any windows files on the drive ,
by djujecmaoseoionnn / July 30, 2006 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok

It was not formatted. Fast format does not check the drive as completely. Its like eraseing the table of contents page from a book. Instead of erasing every page. Although still keeps track of the pages.

Collapse -
formatting...
by PKsteven / July 17, 2006 2:27 PM PDT

Do a slow format if you don't mind waiting. Quick does work but isn't as thorough as the slow. If you want technical details on it, just ask but quickly , the blocks are laid out and sectors more thoroughly checked with slow.

If you choose to D then L to delete the partition, it will in fact get rid of the whole thing. Then the format NTFS is a set up on that partition in order for Windows to run. If you have windows on C: and you delete it, it will in fact get rid of the old windows installation. If you truly want to get rid of it, then no worry, you are doing right. If you have more than one partition, you will see eg..C: 51423 D: 34988.

Note: It may be more "opinion only" than fact , however, I find that if I take the time to do a slow format, I have had less errors when the system is up and running and seems smoother. Just my opinion though and I have no proof.

Paul

Collapse -
Format FAST | not FAST
by satishkhode / July 30, 2006 2:55 AM PDT

For fast format, It only erase your File Allocation Table on track 0. If you sure your had disk without bad sector or not a new disk, then verything is OK.

If you reinstall Windows because bad sectors are reported, then during reinstallation, you better not choose fast format, then it will rebuild the whole hard disk in track/sector style in complete format.

If you not sure your existing hard disk is in good conidtion, suggest you not to use fast format.

brgds/ahoman

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.