General discussion

Windows Reinstallation

I had to replace a motherboard and power supply on my friends compaq presario and since but you have to reinstall Windows XP( it says its already activated ) and brings you user login and when you click sign in, it asks to register XP again(probably windows way of making sure everyone can use the same disk).... so i tried putting a Windows XP backup disk so i can reinstall but it wont bring up the "boot off disk", anyone know of a way of making boot from disk so i can reinstall....

note:Cant log in
-Steve

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Windows Reinstallation
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows Reinstallation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Windows Reinstallation

Since you changed the MB you will have to reactivate. This is a Billy G thing to stop priating. John

- Collapse -
Windows Reinstallation

i have the reinstalation disk but when you put it in its still booting up the old Windows XP and returns to log in screen

- Collapse -
You need to change boot order

in your BIOS. By default, it's usually A:,C:. You need to interupt the POST, locate the option to change the boot order to CD ROM being the first device. It should now look their first. After reinstallation, change it back to how you found it.

CNET Forums

Forum Info