Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Registry

by info88 / April 21, 2006 3:36 PM PDT

I use Windows XP Home SP2. I've been using CCleaner for a week now, and I'm finally done installing all my things and I have a clean registry according to CCleaner. Windows was running fine too. And then I decided that since my registry was clean that I'd make a backup. So I ran regedit and exported the registry file. I restart and Windows won't get into the log on screen. I restart with my last good configuration and don't make a registry backup.

Is this a problem with my registry or regedit? Do you suggest that I not make a backup of the registry?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Registry
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Registry
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Registry
by tomron / April 21, 2006 5:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows Registry

You say "exported the registry file

Did you export the key?

Tom

Collapse -
I'm not sure...
by info88 / April 22, 2006 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Registry

I'm pretty unsure about how to back up the registry. I opened regedit, went to File -> Export -> Saved as a .reg.

That's all I did. What did I do wrong???

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / April 21, 2006 9:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows Registry
So I ran regedit and exported the registry file.

I'm not so sure you're on the correct track. May I suggest some reading concerning the ''Registry Editor'' in this link and also ''Restore'' in this one.
Collapse -
Oh, I think I get it...
by info88 / April 22, 2006 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: RE:

I exported the entire registry in regedit, something Windows doesn't recommend. Apparently, the export function should only be used for smaller parts of the registry, not the entire one.

I was able to restore my computer to the last good configuration. I cleaned the registry again and there seems to be no problems. Are there any suggestions as to how I should back up my current computer state, seeing how it is pretty good now with no apparent problems???

Thanks for all the help!

Collapse -
GOOGLE: Erunt
by WOODS-HICK / April 22, 2006 5:44 AM PDT

Highly recommended, has saved me more than once. Does a daily auto reg backup. You can use it to create a backup prior to any changes. Search the forums for discussions. It's free besides. Read the included "tips" before using.

Collapse -
System Restore works well for me
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 22, 2006 5:51 AM PDT

If you use WIndow's System Restore feature it works pretty well. You can create Restore Points whenever you want, and this backs-up the registry and other important files, (eg the System files), and settings, and if you have a problem, you can restore to one of the backups you created.

Have a look at your own help menu, Start > Help & Support, type in System Restore, and see what it says.

The System Restore utility is also available from the first Help page displayed.

Mark

Collapse -
re: SysRestore
by WOODS-HICK / April 22, 2006 6:03 AM PDT

If you haven't tried Erunt, give it a shot. It has saved me when SysRestore and Norton GoBack failed. The autobackup feature alone, makes it worth having. Plus it uses little resources except backup folders which you can delete manually or automatically with program.

Collapse -
re:re: SysRestore
by WOODS-HICK / April 22, 2006 6:13 AM PDT
In reply to: re: SysRestore

also if a problem happened b4 your created restore point, the thread which links the restore points, will retain the problem. I always disable SysRestore, b4 running Erunt, SysRestore is automatically enabled after the reboot. I will always try Norton GoBack and SysRestore first, then Erunt.

Collapse -
I'm going to do this:
by info88 / April 22, 2006 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: re:re: SysRestore

I'm going to start using Windows Restore Points as well as running ERUNT at startup to create a backup of the registry. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Just one quick question:

Is it ok to delete the ERUNT files after a while. For example, if ERUNT has created a backup every day for the last week, and the last day, the computer was running fine. Would it be ok to delete the ERUNT backup files except for the last one? (They take up 30 MB each...so it'll build up after awhile...)

Thanks a lot. Oh yea, how often do you suggest I make restore points?

Collapse -
re: I'm
by WOODS-HICK / April 22, 2006 8:03 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm going to do this:

I delete whenever I feel everything is secure, mine are using 26mb. I have created my own folder in Erunt where I have saved a few good backups from a month or so ago. I leave myself a note,in the folder,of why they are good or why I used them in the past. I also keep a written log on my real desk.
I create my own Erunt(eg...c:\windows\erdnt\4-22-2006 b4 install program X) (erunt will ask to create such folder) and SysRestore points b4 any changes of significance or paranoia, or both. I also have Norton GoBack and that is the first tool I go to.

Collapse -
Make bootable cd to complement ERUNT
by glennlee / April 22, 2006 8:53 AM PDT
In reply to: re: I'm

I use ERUNT and swear by it. I was attacked by a virus that disabled my restore function (they almost always do) so ERUNT saved the day. The virus caused numerous soft boots. ERUNT works from Windows, Windows in safe mode. If you are locked out of safe mode by something that has attacked the booting process, a bootable CD can be a lifesaver. Bart's PE (Bart's Preinstalled Environment) is a small utility that allow you to produce a bootable CD from your own XP system, which boots to Windows from the CD. Unless your boot files have been corrupted, running ERUNT from there can restore your registry to a good one and get you back up and running enough to run malware checkers and remove the pest. I keep a recent image of my system produced by Acronis True Image as the ultimate last resort for a system disaster. Get Bart PE here:

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Collapse -
I'll do that
by info88 / April 22, 2006 10:08 AM PDT

I printed out the Documentation from ERUNT which explains what to do in case of a severe registry problem (they also recommend Bart's PE). I currently have a set list of things to do once a week:

-Create Restore Point
-Norton Antivirus
-Spybot
-Ad-Aware
-SpyBlaster Update
-CCleaner
-ERUNT (if I know my registry is pretty safe)

I also do regular backups to my USB drive and external harddrive. I shouldn't have too many problems, right? (I also use ZoneAlarm) Considering that this is all freeware, I'm relatively well protected. Thanks for the ERUNT suggestion, that will probably save my tail more than once in the future!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?