Here is what I did that worked.
1. I started in Safe Mode with Networking, logged in as Administrator
2. I downloaded "Super Anti Spyware" However if saved to the default C:\Programs... it will not run. So I saved it to "My Documents" Installed and ran the software. It found and fixed many problems.
3. Ditto for MalwareBytes. It also found and fixed many problems.
4. I rebooted and logged in normally, but the virus was still running.5. I repeated 1 through 4 and also acquired "Trojan Killer" through CNET. It fixed issues not found by the other programs.
6. I rebooted and logged in normally. The virus appeared to be gone or at least disabled.
7. Many of my program icons remained as hidden files so I did a "System Restore" from a date two weeks back.
8. I then ran "Super Anti Spyware," MalwareBytes, Trojan Killer, Spybot Search & Destroy, and MS Security Essentials. Each program found different problems. Over 500 different problems were found and fixed.
9. After all that the system appears to be virus free. Time will tell.
Good luck to all. This is a pesky virus.
My Laptop has become infected by a Windows Recovery Rogue Virus/Trojan, despite having Norton and Stopzilla installed. The laptop is an old Acer Aspire 9500, running off Windows XP.
I am not a techy, so patience please. I have downloaded PC Tools Spyware Doctor / Antispyware Software and PC Tools Registry Mechanic at some cost as their advertisement stated it would resolve the issue. However the Laptop always crashes before it has had chance to complete the scan.
I have also tried downloading RKILL a number of times but never seems to complete the download, again the laptop freezes/crashes. It also appears that Stopzilla is blocking the download, but could be wrong.
I have all my pictures on the laptop and with no backup (stupid I know) and would be happy if I could get rid of this virus/Trojan.
Hope someone out there would be able to help me. Thanks in advance.