Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Protection Error

by teddydee / September 6, 2006 11:34 PM PDT

How do I get past thie error ? Windows 95

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Protection Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Protection Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Find the cause of the error.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2006 11:43 PM PDT

The error in itself only tells us...

"Oops, an error happened."

Nothing more.

Bob

Collapse -
Yosemite Sam shoots wildly...You can't...
by reefurbb / September 7, 2006 6:38 AM PDT

1. Google the error message, write it down.
2. Preliminary is to scandisk-thorough scan your Hdd.
Do not automatically fix errors. If too many pop up, you may have failing hardware where fixing errors may ruin data and/or the W95.
3. Run Defrag while you're at it.
4. Hopefully, you have an up-to-date antivirus, and same for spyware detector-cleaner, and have used them.

Collapse -
Re: Windows protection error.
by Kees Bakker / September 7, 2006 7:37 AM PDT

Teddydee,

It would be nice to know WHEN you get the error. And what changed since it last worked correctly. And do you have any other details?

Just with what you tell (how to get past it), it might be at boot time. Then the questions are:
- Can you boot into Safe Mode?
- Can you login as another user or the default user?

Probable causes are either hardware related (either the hardware itself or the driver) or some malware.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Windows protection error
by teddydee / September 7, 2006 9:17 AM PDT

Yes ,I can boot in safe mode. This PC is old and is used as A backup PC . I want to install 98 se. Plus A bigger HD . I would try to install XP but it is A p2 ,333 mhs .

Collapse -
Re: Windows protection error
by Kees Bakker / September 7, 2006 5:28 PM PDT

Then I wouldn't care. If you can afford to lose the backup data that's on it, just format and go ahead with a new install of an OS.

If you want to keep some data on it, first go into Config Panel to set the virtual memory to fixed size and reboot. It will be moved from the Windows folder to the root folder then (check from Windows Explorer, search for win386.swp). Then from Windows Explorer, still, delete the Program Files folder, msdos.sys in the root folder (might be hidden and read-only) and the Windows folder. Turn of the machine and install the new OS. Your data will still be there.

Kees

Collapse -
min specs for XP...
by reefurbb / September 7, 2006 11:56 PM PDT

300mhz, 128mb ram, 4mb video, 5gb Hdd.
If you install a 10gb Hdd, you can create a 2nd partitiion, format both as FAT32, copy old Hdd to 2nd partition. You can even set up XP for dual boot W98/XP.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?