General discussion

Windows Product Activation

by imlost2 / March 21, 2007 10:28 AM PDT

I'm running XP Home Edition. Computer is about a 4 year old Dell. When I
try to log on it gives me the following error "A problem is preventing windows
from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error Code:
0x80090006". It seems everything I have found online is about partitions,
etc. My wife was just checking her email and playing solitaire and the next
time she tried to log on, it keeps giving this error.

Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Product Activation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Product Activation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Usually fatal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 11:19 AM PDT
http://www.google.com/search?q=0x80090006 finds many posts so I'll share what I ran into. The few times I've seen this it was malware that damaged the OS. The repair depends on what CDs we have and if the owner has a good backup. Your post is a little light so I'll share one method since it's cheaper than having it done.

Buy a new hard disk and connect it to the master connector and save the old hard disk for later. Install XP and all Dell's CDs. Now add the old drive on the slave connector and boot up. If you've done it right with all the updates you should find your old drive in My Computer. If it doesn't let you into the old directories read this article -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Bob
Collapse -
How hard is this?
by imlost2 / March 22, 2007 1:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Usually fatal.

I should have all the CDs that came with my computer.

Any specific thing I need to know about buying a hard drive? Can I just swing by Best Buy, etc. and pick one up at random?

How hard is a new XP install?

Sorry for all the questions. I can do this if I have decent instructions.

Collapse -
About the hard disk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2007 11:43 PM PDT
In reply to: How hard is this?

Today we have to worry if it's a SATA or PATA drive. That's usually about it.

"How hard is a new XP install?

Sorry for all the questions. I can do this if I have decent instructions,"

I can't provide those instructions. To reinstall the OS is specific to each machine and I can only point you back to it's maker for decent instructions. I have a rule I won't tell how to install Windows here since not one post has worked proper for anyone from anyone. There are too many variables so only GUIDES seem to work. Since guides to installing Windows are abundant on the internet I don't copy such here.

Bob

Collapse -
Partly there
by imlost2 / March 25, 2007 7:01 AM PDT
In reply to: About the hard disk.

I bought a new harddrive and it is installed. I also got Windows installed without any problems. Everything seems to be working (CD, DVD, USB ports, etc). I went to Dell's website and I think I have downloaded and installed all the drivers that were there for my computer. I say "I think" because some of did not seem to do anything when I installed them.

I installed all the Dell CDs that came with the computer and the Wordperfect suite that came with it. Also got my virus scanner installed.

I have not tried to install the old drive as a slave yet.

The one problem I am having is that I cannot connect to the Internet. I went to Broadcom's website and downloaded the driver and think it is installed. The thing that sort of bothers me is that the "current driver" is dated 9/19/2002. Any ideas?

Collapse -
About the broadcom.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2007 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Partly there

I would have tried what Dell offers if the PC is from dell.

2002 is well after XP shipped and if there were no bugs then that date is fine.

Bob

Collapse -
Start Up problems../
by castingRod47 / March 23, 2007 2:43 AM PDT

If your XP Home Edition is SP1...get rid of it...its obsolete..don't use the XP(SP2)CD that Microsoft was shipping..its not real dependable..
Purchase a New XP-Home Edition SP2 OS(Full Version)..
Or maybe DELL will sell you the OEM OS(XP SP2)..
If you have a Pentium 4 Processor..and 333MHz or higher RAM..switch to the XP-Professional SP2 version..
I'm still useing the same HDD(system)that DELL shipped with my first DELL Dimension 2350..they shipped me a FAT32 HD useing XP Home Edition SP1..
its now in my DELL Dimension 1100-series DE051(30-GB Western Digital)..and I formatted it for the NTFS File System..at 1024..
It seems best to invest in the PC..
the problems come along after a while..I commit to OS Re-Installs at about a 3-month interval..I run two PCs on a KVM Switch..and use a Home Edition and a Profession per each..
What I have recently done to improve the PC performance is to use the FORMATTING utility in Disk Management(Adminitrator Tools)..
and a External Enclosure../..and a USB 2.0 PORT..
allowing for the complete formatting to proceed from the multiple use of the ALLOCATION SIZE..
First..useing the DEFAULT..selection..
.......then the 1024..selection..
.......then the CHKDSK in MY COMPUTER under the DRIVE-properties..
.......then back to DRIVE-properties for the FORMAT-selection there..at 1024..again..this really quiets down the HDD operation..and DELETES FILES previously(un-DELETABLE)..
I use the 1024..allocation size for simple files..like Music and JPGS..
then ther 2048 allocation size for my VIDEO-files..
On both types of HDs..the System Drive..or..the External Archive Drives..
example..
My Home Edition PC/HDD is formatted at 1024..
My XP-Pro PC/HDD is formatted at 2048..
Then the External HDs..
a Seagate 80-GB for Video Files ONLY(2048)
a MAXTOR 120-GB for Video Files ONLY(2048)
a Western Digital 40-GB for Audio and JPGS ONLY(1024)
and a 1-GB Quantum is formatted at(512)for audio files only..
This is all done in an External Enclosure..useing a second PC(USB 2.0)..
There are Un-Deletable Files that BOOT the PC..but as you UPGRADE and change things these FILES increase and spill into the regualar Partition..causeing some problems(and noise)..
The above operation is a really decent utility to quiet things down..
for a SATA Drive the results are quite upscale.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.