The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Windows Podcasting

by snakesonaplane / January 30, 2006 6:10 AM PST

Always hear about how great GarageBand is for podcasting, but not having a mac myself, what are the options for good (not exhorbitantly expensive) podcasting software and any good mics? I heard a podcast that was recorded on some USB condensor mic and that sounded pretty good Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Podcasting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Podcasting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Free & Cheap Solution
by AndyInTN / January 30, 2006 7:06 AM PST
In reply to: Windows Podcasting

For my podcast I use Audacity to record, I use a cheap headset microphone that was $20 at Staples. Its an Altec Lansing. The Logitech that I had before was decent but it broke two weeks after. Not sure if it was my fault or the headset, I tend to say it was the headsets fault, lol.

If you are looking to record a group of people. I know a group of drag queens who do their show with one of those $20 microphones that you can pick up at Wal-Mart and they sound really good.

Audacity (free)
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Here are a couple of other programs, I have them installed but have not had time to test them out. Both look promising. Adam Curry uses CastBlaster.

CastBlaster (free Beta)
http://www.castblaster.com/

PodProducer (free)
http://www.podproducer.net/

Collapse -
A few more suggestions
by acedtect-20196213851867054973637995818137 / January 30, 2006 12:50 PM PST
In reply to: Free & Cheap Solution

I second the recommendation for Audacity.

As for Mics and mixers, you can get really good prices on quality equipment here:

http://musiciansfriend.com/

You can get some good low-end durable Shure mics for around $20.

Collapse -
Podcast
by rosscbrown / January 30, 2006 9:33 PM PST
In reply to: A few more suggestions

I was thinking about starting my own podcast too, but I like things to be right!

I am gonna buy my self a ibook just for GarageBand! LOL sad bit i wreally want it!

So after a few practive runs, I've decided I HATE MY VOICE! (however I'm told its very sexy!). SO not pod cast at the moment, will try and get something going some time. Nice to see all the apps here as I'm STILL a windows user!

Collapse -
Thanks
by AndyInTN / January 31, 2006 12:16 AM PST

I will check into the Shure mics, especially if they're under $20! lol I'm poor!

However, I do get nice comments all the time about how good my audio quality is with just this simple Altec Lansing microphone headset.

Collapse -
Great Mic
by AndyInTN / January 31, 2006 2:18 AM PST
Collapse -
Not so fast
by scott_wilder / January 31, 2006 2:38 AM PST
In reply to: Great Mic

I used to work at a national music merchandiser that sold these mics. If you buy 5 of the same mics; there's a good chance you may get 5 mics that sound differently. Overall Quality control is all overt the map.

That's just my opinion. Lots of happy owners out there though.

SCott

Collapse -
Don't worry...
by AndyInTN / January 31, 2006 2:42 AM PST
In reply to: Not so fast

I don't plan on buying one right now. Need to save my $50 for Internet! lol.

I was shocked though to see a nice looking microphone for such a low price.

Collapse -
OMG
by Veronica Belmont-20381073359499778927797251280312 / January 30, 2006 11:20 AM PST

best username ever!!

Collapse -
thanks
by snakesonaplane / January 31, 2006 8:09 AM PST
In reply to: OMG

*bows and thanks V*

presume it would be taken but thought "what the heck"

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) this one is better
by kevinofold / January 31, 2006 9:55 AM PST
In reply to: OMG
Collapse -
The Mic
by scott_wilder / January 30, 2006 10:41 PM PST

I think the condenser mike you're referring to is the Samson C01U.

It's a large diaphragm condenser that plugs directly into a USB port on your computer. It will sound MUCH better than any el cheapo computer mic you buy. It will also sound better than ashure sm-57 or 58.

But compared to other condenser mics; I think it sounds harsh and brittle. But for the price you really can't complain too much.

Scott

Collapse -
the mic
by snakesonaplane / January 31, 2006 8:03 AM PST
In reply to: The Mic

yes was the samson now i think about it, i havent seen it in any UK stores so i guess my best options is Ebay Happy

Collapse -
the mic is online
by scott_wilder / February 2, 2006 12:29 AM PST
In reply to: the mic

www.samash.com

Collapse -
Condenser mic USB plug and play for Podcasting, etc
by BroadcastPro / November 2, 2007 6:59 AM PDT
In reply to: The Mic

I tried the Samson and others and found teh Blue Snowball Bundle to be the best. It's got two capsules which allows for a cardioid (uni-directional) pick up pattern and Omni (360) pick up pattern plus a pad in case the signal is too hot for your system. Sounds terrific. I use it for Podcasting, Skype, iChat and garageband. Love it. $99 at amazon.com and comes with a tripod desk stand and USB cable. There is also a Ringer shock mount available. Chek it out!

Collapse -
Great seller, highly recomend doing business with.
by extramusical.com / February 1, 2010 12:08 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?