General discussion

Windows permissions

Hey all,

I have been mingling with windows permissions for weeks now and have concluded they are:

TOO DIFFICULT TO MANAGE AND WAY TOO TIME CONSUMING TO LEARN.

with that said I am requesting the easiest work around to using permissions possible. Like most I simply want to share some of my files with other user accounts on the same PC. PC is running windows 7 and the files are located on an external hard drive.

I want to allow people to use the files and just that, I do not want them to be able to edit any permissions on the file, delete the file, rename the file, etc.

Again I just want them to be able to use it and nothing more. So what is the easiest way to do this?? and free-ist wat to do it : )

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Windows permissions
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows permissions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Share it

1. Right click the files you want to share.

2. Click "Share with" and then "Specific people".

3. In the drop-down box, put Everyone and then click Add.

4. Change Permission Level to Read/Write.

5. Click Share.

Although it doesn't make sense that you would need to edit permissions to allow other user accounts on the same machine to access an external hard drive...

Note that this method will also share your files over a network (LAN) if you have one.

- Collapse -
External drive?

What is stopping these other users from accessing and modifying these files on that external drive at the moment?

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info