PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Windows only sees about 1/2 of the hard drive

by im2nic2 / May 18, 2005 5:49 AM PDT

I just installed Win XP (what a nightmare), but windows only shows the capacity of the drive as about 130 GB (the capacity is 300 GB). How do I fix this? Right now the hard drive is connected as a SATA 1, but is a SATA 2 (was switched because of problems). If I switch bach to SATA 2 and format from Win XP will it format the whole thing or just the part that windows sees?
Thank you,
Ryan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows only sees about 1/2 of the hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows only sees about 1/2 of the hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Because XP only supports up to 127GB drives.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2005 6:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
what i was thinking...
by ozos / May 18, 2005 10:34 AM PDT

you have to set partitions
reformat, and say you want 3 100GB partitions, or w/e sized partitions you want

Collapse -
That doesn't work with XP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2005 11:38 AM PDT
In reply to: what i was thinking...

You need XP SP1 or later to accomplish this. The noted site documents this issue in deep detail.

Bob

Collapse -
Hard drive size limit.....addendum
by John Bee / May 19, 2005 11:02 PM PDT

By the way.....don't forget to update to SP2....you need the update to allow XP to manage more than 127. It can be limited by either your bios or your XP. Either way, you might need to update BOTH! If you call your hard drive manufacturer's tech line, they'll walk you through it......have fun!!

JB

Collapse -
Hard drive size limit
by John Bee / May 19, 2005 10:51 PM PDT

You're problem isn't with you're XP. It's your computer's bios that limits the hard drive size that is recognized to only 127 gig. Check with your board manufacturer's website and, if you have big balls, flash the bios with the latest update.....then it will read all your drive regardless of how big it is or what OS you're using. I just went through the same thing and opted to install a seperate Siig SATA PCI card instead of taking a chance on flashing my chip. Either way, don't blame your XP....having used all of Microsoft's OSs, XP is still yhe most user friendly of the bunch as far as I'm concerned!

Good luck!!

JB

Collapse -
A thought....
by tasosxr / May 19, 2005 6:38 PM PDT

Hello, try this one......
start/control panel/administrative tools/computer managment/storage/disk managment.....if you can see the rest of your disk there....right click/a)formate it, b)make it logical......if i remember right!!!!!!If you can't see your disk there go to BIOS (DEL) and you will find....hd auto detect...if it detects only 130Gb you have a problem!!!if it detects almost 300Gb your ok, and you got your answer....hope to help you...excuse my English.tasosxr 8-)

Collapse -
Windows XP Professional
by Skywalker1972 / May 19, 2005 7:40 PM PDT

I recently hooked up 2 SATA 250GB Caviar Drive's.

I used my on board Raid program to setup the Raid 0+2. I did have to make a Bootdisk for the Raid driver's.
Windows XP shows that I have about a 476GB HD.

So, not sure where the problem lies with your particular setup.

Collapse -
XP drive
by Jerrysr / May 19, 2005 10:05 PM PDT

I have a 250G and a 160 installed with no problems. I also am using NTFS not Fat32.

Collapse -
SATA II
by bob3160 / May 19, 2005 10:42 PM PDT

Have you installed the proper drivers and, have you changed the boot order in the BIOS settings?

Collapse -
Windows only sees about 1/2 of the hard drive
by hasmohsin / May 20, 2005 2:42 AM PDT

It is not Windows XP or any Windows, but I am sure that it is your motherboard who needs upgrade.

Collapse -
Is the 300 gig your main system drive or a storage drive
by toughschell / May 20, 2005 4:14 AM PDT

if the drive is bigger than 137 gigs, you have to right click the My computer icon and click manage. once the window pops up, click the Disk Management link under the Storage tree. You should see all you hard drives and CD drives listed, you should also see the 300 gig in there as a dynamic disk, right click that and format it. then go from there.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!