Mac OS forum

General discussion

Windows on a mac? How about mac on Windows?

someone have resently sucessfully installed windows on an apple mac. i was wondering wheather you could install Mac OS X Tiger on a windows or non-apple computer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows on a mac? How about mac on Windows?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows on a mac? How about mac on Windows?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Eventually

In reply to: Windows on a mac? How about mac on Windows?

But Apple will be aggressively countering the procedure with updates and fixes.

P

Collapse -
Because of the chip sets?

In reply to: Eventually

Is the implication here that by going over to Intel chip sets, Apple has been obliged to create an OS that could theoretically be installed on a standard PC?

No doubt there are 1,001 ways Apple can inhibit that, so that the OS will only install on a machine recognised as 'one of its own'.

Collapse -
That is the plan, thus far

In reply to: Because of the chip sets?

How well they can do at preventing unauthorized installation remains to be seen

P

Collapse -
Somebody Did That Once

I remember somebody in Switserland coming up with a MacOS version that would run on a PC (quite well, actually.) Faster than you could say Cupertino, the programmer had a cease-and-desist-or-else-there-will-be-dire-consequenses order from Apple's legal department.

Collapse -
Personally I hope not, but.....

While technically possible, one of the reasons why Apple computers run so smoothly is because they are closed systems. As soon as you have to try to accomodate for all sorts of different hardware, perhaps even AMD chips and so forth you will get slow degredation of the OS. With OSX Apple essentially scrapped everything and started from scratch with the OS from the ground up.

One of the reasons XP is as problematic as it is and Vista is taking so long to develop is because Microsoft is trying to include 30 years of backwards compatability for your obscure DOS programs and a million possible hardware configurations.

Collapse -
i am trying to install..........

In reply to: Personally I hope not, but.....

i have failed miserably three times, while installing mac on xp system, but so many help coming on;), frm diff. sources will deinately allow u to accomplish tat task.

and well on xp being problematic, i wud like 2 say xp is not problematic, but the user is, and regarding DOS compatibility, it is dropped in Win NT/2000/XP itself, u cud run console and type on commands, but not the way it is in win98.
and i tink no OS cud attain 95% spread rate with 4-5 configurations available in market.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.