Computer Help forum

Question

windows nt 4 vs. aironet 340 wireless adapter

by jcdacono / July 5, 2015 4:46 PM PDT

I recently installed a cisco aironet 340 wireless adapter onto an old windows nt4 computer. The adapter connected with the router ok but the driver made windows nt very unstable. Programs would die, couldn't shut down the computer. Printing took 15 minutes for a small file. So I removed the driver from the hard drive and everything went back to normal. I'm wondering if anyone can tell what the problem is. Would more RAM help? I have 128mb now.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows nt 4 vs. aironet 340 wireless adapter
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows nt 4 vs. aironet 340 wireless adapter
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
why not use LAN connection instead?
by James Denison / July 5, 2015 4:56 PM PDT
Collapse -
Aironet 340 isn't USB
by jcdacono / July 5, 2015 5:05 PM PDT

The aironet 340 is a PCI card. It was about the only thing that I could find that would work with windows nt.

Collapse -
fully updated NT?
by James Denison / July 5, 2015 5:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Aironet 340 isn't USB

Why NT? Why not W2K at least, instead. In fact that was before days of activation and even the OEM disc would load on any computer. There used to be a lot of them sold on EBay very cheaply.

Collapse -
To updated nt
by jcdacono / July 5, 2015 6:10 PM PDT
In reply to: fully updated NT?

This is an old computer I have that has some old CAD software on it. I'm just trying to upgrade it with internet access. something to keep me busy.

Collapse -
Reply to manual
by jcdacono / July 5, 2015 5:40 PM PDT
In reply to: manual

I checked the info on the wireless bridge and don't see how it would help. It seems to be like a repeater. I don't have a problem reaching the router. My problem is what seems to be an overload on the computer when the adapter driver is installed. Thanks anyway.

Collapse -
so there's some comms with the router
by James Denison / July 5, 2015 6:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply to manual

maybe something odd about the protocol between the router and the aironet. Or some voltage difference between the older PCI and the newer, there were two voltages then.

http://hsi.web.cern.ch/HSI/s-link/devices/s32pci64/slottypes.html

Also check the PCI card to see if there's some jumpers on it, which one might be to set a static IRQ.

Collapse -
reply to comms with the router
by jcdacono / July 6, 2015 6:53 AM PDT

The issue about the voltage difference from what I saw on your link seems to be that the card would not fit into the wrong type of slot. I have the OEM installation instructions and there is nothing about jumpers on the PCI card. It was a very straight forward installation.

Collapse -
Answer
Here's what I used with an ancient NT 4.0
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2015 8:34 PM PDT
Collapse -
Netgear adapter
by jcdacono / July 6, 2015 6:59 AM PDT

I did read a little somewhere that a netgear adapter would work but haven't checked it out yet. thanks.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!