Computer Help forum

General discussion

Windows not working

by NoSenseMan / July 22, 2005 3:34 AM PDT

I'm using Windows XP Home Edition with NO SP2. Recently, i installed a few trial programs to try them out. they are avast! antivirus, zonealarm security suite. i had to uninstall my current antivirus which was norton antivirus 2003 and thats when the problems started coming... now, i find that i can't open Windows Media Player, Windows Help and Support and System Restore. These are the only programs i have tried so far. My IE 6 cant go to hotmail(stalls at a page called ''Continue''. probably couldnt redirect to the hotmail page). Cant go to Windows Update either... it just shows a blank page... i've never had this problem before, even without SP2. the error that keeps popping up is "An internal application error has occured". I tried Spybot, Ad-aware with no results... now what? =(

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More
by NoSenseMan / July 22, 2005 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows not working

sorry i forgot to add that my MSN messenger cant log in as well. it just keeps saying " signing in" with the 2 buddies dancing in circles. but my pals see me online and when they try to say something, an error pops up saying i cant start a conversation with them. however, Windows messenger works. tried reinstalling MSN messenger and Windows Media Player... still doesnt work. argh!

Collapse -
NoSense, Suggestion...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 22, 2005 4:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows not working

Try starting from scratch...First, see if using System Restore back to a time when things were working fixes the issue. Then uninstall Norton COMPLETELY by following the instructions in the link below. (After doing the standard uninstall from Add/Remove Programs, then remove everything you can manually, then use the RNAV2003 Utility mentioned.)

How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus 2002/2003

Then reinstall one program at a time...Avast, first, then the others.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Uh...
by NoSenseMan / July 22, 2005 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: NoSense, Suggestion...

Well, thats all good but i can't even get my system restore to work... perhaps theres a way to access it from DOS?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Tried From Safe Mode? DOS Isn't On XP
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 22, 2005 1:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Uh...
Collapse -
trying safe mode
by NoSenseMan / July 22, 2005 3:10 PM PDT

Oh sorry, i meant the command prompt. thought it was dos or something like that... going to try safe mode now. thanks!

Collapse -
bad news
by NoSenseMan / July 22, 2005 3:38 PM PDT
In reply to: trying safe mode

alright more bad news. Safe mode started up properly, but System Restore still didnt. It just showed a blank window like in the normal mode. then i tried using system restore through Tune-up Utilities 04. it looked like it was working. then my comp restarted before the blue bar reached the end in the system restore dialogue box. when it booted up again, there was no message telling me that System Restore had failed/completed succesfully(i think it couldnt start up). and nothings changed so i think i can safely assume it failed. is the only way left to format? =(

Collapse -
Rstrui.exe
by phantazy / July 22, 2005 5:39 PM PDT
In reply to: bad news

Try safe mode with command prompt, and type 'rstrui.exe'.

Collapse -
Problem solved
by NoSenseMan / July 30, 2005 6:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Rstrui.exe

Hey, i finally found out what the prob was... it seems it was Norton all the while! i kinda forgot the suggestion Grif had suggested(oops!)but thanks anyway, i got it all sorted out! and im never gonna use Norton again!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.