General discussion

Windows Not Recognizing Desktop Icons

I was surfing with Firefox when AVG started to quarantine malicious files on my PC. After that, I tried to click on my desktop icons like Firefox or Mozilla, and a window would appear asking me to choose the program that I want to open the file with. It will unusually ask me to do that for some files (.exe files, video files), but not others (Internet Explorer, Photoshop PSD files) on my desktop.

I also tried to decompress a .rar file, but I get an error message that Program Files/winrar/WinRar.exe can't be found. Of course, the file is still on my PC, and I can open it.

Here is what's strange. I can right click on a desktop icon (Firefox) and select "start" and the program will open. But if I double-click the icon, Windows doesn't know how to open it.

I'm running Windows XP. I have no idea if this new problem is related to the last virus quarantine by AVG (paid version). I rebooted my computer, but the problem still exists.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Windows Not Recognizing Desktop Icons
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows Not Recognizing Desktop Icons
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Try this,

Doug Knox's Exe File Association Fix;
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Find that entry in the list, then follow the instructions for using it.

May I suggest that, after you have fixed this, you download, install, run, update, then perform a full scan with Malwarebytes' Antimalware. Anti-virus scanners no longer find all threats, and we need additional anti-malware help.

Good luck.

Mark

- Collapse -
Maybe there is some virus in your computer

I met it ago,there is some virus in your computer,you need antivirus to scan all the disk of your computer!

- Collapse -
If that's not enough.

Look at the LNK association fix. Again be sure to look at scans with the various titles and DO NOT USE registry cleaners.
Bob

- Collapse -
Yep you're probably right

It is more likely to be the LNK fix for shortcuts than the EXE fix.

Mark

- Collapse -
fixed

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually ran the Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner when I left last night, since the scanner generally takes hours to run. When I came back today, everything was working just like normal before.

So the good news is that the scanner at:

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Did the trick.

FWIW I already have AVG, MalwareBytes, Spybot S&D on my PC. So something was getting through those.

CNET Forums