Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows networking browser intermittent behavior

by soulcode / October 25, 2006 11:44 PM PDT

I am having sooo much trouble with browsing my workgroup. But with 4 computers, all on wireless, all going into Stand By at various times of the
day and night, is it any wonder?
Sometimes the XP Pro machine becomes Browser Master at the same time as other machines
Rarely I can see all shares from both XP home and Pro machines.
Often browstat status says Browsing is not active

The wireless router is a Dlink DSL G-604T serving as the DHCP server
All are on XP Home SP 2 except for one on XP Pro SP 2
All are on the same workgroup
Networking:
All running Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
QoS Packet Scheduler
TCP/IP
AEGIS
WLAN Transport

All the TCP/IP's are set to
dynamic IP,
Enable Netbios over DHCP
Enable LMHOSTS lookup (though I have not created any LMHOSTS file)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows networking browser intermittent behavior
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows networking browser intermittent behavior
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hint: Use command line and this command.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2006 11:49 PM PDT

NET VIEW

What many didn't know is the Network Neighborhood (NN) is not real time as well as having other issues. Use the command line if you want to see it now.

I won't write long about NN since it has a long history of eating people's time and sending one company down in flames. Once you learn to distrust it, then you can move on. Bigger hint: No fix I know has cured it every time.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Collapse -
net view command shows me what i already know
by soulcode / October 29, 2006 8:43 AM PST

Thank you for this suggestion. And of course, it shows me computers that may be seen (which is a fluid collection at best) and is what I already know which is, that something isn't set up correctly.

From all the reading that I've done, I really pin'd my hopes on using NetBIOS over TCP/IP for WINS. My hunch is the trouble lies with all the up/down of wireless and PCs going to sleep.

But I also trust your hint, there ain't no silver bullet to Windows Networking, eh?

One guy suggested yanking QOS, any thoughts?

What about I run a cable to Win XP Pro machine and leave it up all the time?

Collapse -
I'll watch. It can be more fun that way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2006 8:51 AM PST

I don't want to discourage you but the Network Neighborhood (NN) is not what it appears or pretends to be. And move to today where firewalls are erected here there and over in our routers the reasons are far too many for it to fail your expectations. That's not counting the NN's known issues of 10 minute to weeklong delays in populating and dismissal of items.

My best advice is to love the command line and not waste your days trying to fix NN. Many have tried, not all survive.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.