by saxrulzcp / April 8, 2010 12:01 AM PDT

Hello all.

I have 3 roommates and between us, there are 6 computers:

1 Windows 7 Desktop (Chris)
1 Windows 7 Laptop (Eric-laptop)
1 Windows Vista Laptop (Oposossafran)
1 Windows XP Acer Netbook (Christwo)
2 Windows XP Desktops (Eric, Mallory)

I setup a network on one of the XP machines called MSHOME and changed the workgroup name on all 5 other machines to MSHOME. I've disabled Simple File Sharing.

All 6 computers can see each other (i.e. In Network/My Network Places, all computer names are listed) Most computers have folders that are shared.

When I try to click on any computer name on my Windows 7 machine, it gives me the error "Windows cannot access \\Eric, Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try and identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose."

When I click diagnose, I get the message "Make sure the computer or device is turned on and connected to the network. Windows can't find "ERIC". If the computer or device you are trying to reach is nearby, make sure it is turned on and connected to the network. Otherwise, contact your network administrator for assistance."

Eric's computer is on and connected to the Internet and likewise can see all 5 other computers as well, though unable to access anything on them. Please help. Let me know what other information you may need.

The computers Chris and Christwo were originally on the same network at a different location and HAD a different workgroup name. They were able to open and view all files on all shared folders on their previous network and could be viewed by all as well. Still now, they are the only 2 that can access each other.

-Chris

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Network Trouble with XP, Vista, and 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Network Trouble with XP, Vista, and 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Update
by saxrulzcp / April 9, 2010 11:59 AM PDT

**Update**

I've now changed the name of the network to Taco, because I was told not to leave it at the default. I also researched how to unblock several ports from the firewall. Now Opossofran's Vista machine can ironically access everybody, but Chris and Christwo can access each other, Eric and Mallory can access each other, but Chris/Christwo cannot access Eric/Mallory.

I know this is a convuluted mess, but I need some advice. Someone help.

Thanks in advance!

-Chris

Collapse -
Username/password
by Steven Haninger / April 9, 2010 8:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Update

It would be best to create a username and password common to all PCs that need to access shares. Create a specific share that includes that common username and password in its permissions. I've one other thought having to do with Windows 7 only that deals with some new SMB security changes that were made but won't get into that yet if you're not having problems with Win7 only.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.