Question

Windows Network Location: Public vs Home at Home

I'm reimaging one of my home systems that I intend to use as a "sterile" system (I will visit very a very limited selection sites on it, such as banking sites). I'm considering establishing the network location as "Public" instead of "Home", rationale being this would help prevent cross infection from other computers on my home network if they get a worm or virus. I do have friends that come over and hop on my network sometimes and who knows what contamination their systems have. Is this being overly paranoid? Will it cause annoying problems for this sterile system or other systems in my home network? I don't intend to share anything on this system with other computers on my home network. Seems to me that this ought to be the recommended setting for any computer always ... you can always share files using a USB drive if you really need to. Thoughts? Again maybe I am being overly paranoid. Back in the day there used to be worms that would look for ways to hop from system to system over the network, maybe that's much much harder these days. I do have a router between the DSL modem and my home network and I do run Norton Internet Security on all my systems, before you ask Wink Thanks!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Windows Network Location: Public vs Home at Home
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows Network Location: Public vs Home at Home
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I really doubt

I really doubt it's going to provide you with any real benefit, but at the same time, it takes little to no effort to implement. You'd probably just be better off turning off any and all file and printer sharing functions on the sterile system, then turning it off except when needed. Can't infect a system with anything unless it's turned on.

- Collapse -
Answer
Well some of the newest routers now

offer a guest network that allows users to only access the internet and doesn't allow access to the internal network. One is the Linksys E2000 or E3000.

CNET Forums