Phones forum

General discussion

windows mobile or Symbian

by wmrayt / May 28, 2009 2:25 AM PDT

I am trying to decide between the new Jack or the E71x. The E71x fits everything except I know nothing about the os. Can I get apps for this as easily as win mobile? Been down this road before where made wrong choice.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows mobile or Symbian
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows mobile or Symbian
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Personal choice really
by Pepe7 / May 28, 2009 3:08 AM PDT

Both of those handsets are crippled in various ways by the carrier (ATT). It may really it boils down to taste. A lot of folks have already commented that buying the unlocked E71 may be a smarter move. If they can eventually cook up a custom ROM for the Jack perhaps that might give it an edge over time. You would really benefit from doing some intense reading in the various Symbian & WM forums to get a better sense of what's out there. There are plenty of apps for both WM & Symbian. You have to ask yourself *which* of the available apps you really need. Howardforums is a nice place to get down to earth answers too.

-Pedro

Collapse -
crippled
by wmrayt / May 28, 2009 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Personal choice really

I am not sure what you mean by crippled by the carrier.

Collapse -
crippled= neutered
by Pepe7 / May 28, 2009 7:02 AM PDT
In reply to: crippled

Certain features are restricted/options not present/menus messed up/annoying java headaches otherwise not found on the unbranded Nokia phone versions that I mentioned. The extra bloated software is the real issue IMNSHO. The carriers might restrict access to certain apps via wifi, etc. to force you to purchase their data plan.

I suggest you go over to Howardforums and listen to some of the user experiences w/ the E71x.

Buying the unlocked version of this phone would mean you could add the cheaper $15 data plan, FWIW. Letstalk might offer it still for free w/ a 2 yr contract.

-Pedro

Collapse -
Also look at the E63
by Pepe7 / May 28, 2009 4:21 AM PDT

It's another wi-fi enabled Nokia for $239 unlocked @ J&R online. You won't find any carrier's bloated software on it either. Might be a way for you to avoid a wireless contract as well.

-Pedro

Collapse -
Jack or E71x
by roger.wilkerson / May 28, 2009 10:14 AM PDT

If any consolation, you can run Skyfire's browser on either one.

Collapse -
Skyfire's great ;)
by Pepe7 / May 28, 2009 11:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Jack or E71x

Hulu via Skyfire w/WM is a real treat Wink

cheers,
Pedro

Collapse -
I just bought the Nokia E7 because of Symbian OS
by artcraftrolls / May 16, 2011 11:29 AM PDT

Hi,
Have 4 Nokias on 1 SIM card, changed in seconds: E62, E72, E90 Communicator (my workhorse 'phone) and the new E7-00 (purchased because I don't want Mobile Windows again: period).
Symbian locks on to the signals and gives me no problems. I like it.
Still running Win 3.x for my database, using XP Pro laptops ... so if Symbian is gone, I'll keep on using it, gladly.
The Nokia E90 plays the best music of any 'phone I've heard; we use it in the car instead of the radio or tape player. The E7 combines QWERTY with touch screen features, but when all is said and done, I prefer the rugged E90.
Best regards, Douglas Henderson
http://wiscasset.net/artcraft/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.