The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Windows Mobile 7 - the buzz

Windows Mobile 7 will bring cut and paste to windows mobile. Oh sorry, thats actually iPhone Gen 3.

Windows Mobile 7 will also not bring internet connection sharing, A2DP, and mp3 ring tones - those are all there already.

What WM7 will do is move WM over to a new kernel,from the CE5 version to CE6.

It will bring a more attractive UI, similar to the Touchflo3D on the HTC Touch Diamond. ( http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=255 ) It will similarly use gestures and the accelerometer. For example, shaking the phone will change tracks, you can mute phone ringers by turning the phone around etc.

It will integrate the Zune store, and will feature an improved browser.

See more about WM7 here.
http://microsoft.blognewschannel.com/archives/2008/01/06/exclusive-windows-mobile-7-to-focus-on-touch-and-motion-gestures/

BTW, millions of Windows Mobile users are also looking forward to Windows Mobile 7.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Mobile 7 - the buzz
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Mobile 7 - the buzz
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Strangly

In reply to: Windows Mobile 7 - the buzz

The inferface peaked a couple of generations back. Now I have more keystrokes to do the same things. Not sure I'm looking forward to more bloat and incompatablity issues.

Collapse -
Pretty, not efficient

In reply to: Strangly

Its not about making the interface efficient anymore, just pretty.

I think thats actually an abuse of the customer -it stops them from even becoming expert users. Its like welding training wheels onto a bicycle - safe but limiting.

Collapse -
You got wheels?

In reply to: Pretty, not efficient

They welded skid plates to mine.

Collapse -
Don't lose the efficiency though!

Collapse -
damned if you do damned if you don't

everyone slams winmo for not being more user friendly, more like the iphone. and then geeks slam these ideas for making it less functional. yes we all pray for the perfect blend, but seriously, everyone needs to make up their mind!

Collapse -
"To Focus On Touch and Motion Gestures"

A me too product.

Collapse -
Like who too?

In reply to: "To Focus On Touch and Motion Gestures"

Me too like who?

Collapse -
that's not fair...

In reply to: "To Focus On Touch and Motion Gestures"

cmon its so easy to sat copy cat, but everyone realizes these are major usability features, why should winmo handicap itself? thats just silly.

if you say that, then i say apple copied microsoft by making a smartphone. there. lol.

Collapse -
WM7 stated mission

WM7 is actually going to be very new. While there aren't really many new features and a lot of it is about being pretty - the mission of WM7 (as stated in an inter-office e-mail leaked a couple months back) is to make it more user friendly. I love WM, but you can't just hand it to someone and have them always understand what to do next when just making a call.

The goal is to make a phone as easy to use as a candy bar Nokia with all the features WM already has. Oh and - also to use the camera as a cheap motion sensor and structure detector :).

When it's put in your pocket and the camera registers a drastic change immediately - the screen will shut off auto. (It won't just go off at night it has to be a drastic change). The motion sensor system will actually have many uses.
The camera will also be used in a cool new way - point it at a building...say a movie theater across the street... and it will identify it - then like give you movie times for that theater. Or maybe you see a restaurant down the street - point your camera at it and the menu comes up. Awesome!!!!

Collapse -
Sounds familiar

In reply to: WM7 stated mission

"The camera will also be used in a cool new way - point it at a building...say a movie theater across the street... and it will identify it - then like give you movie times for that theater. Or maybe you see a restaurant down the street - point your camera at it and the menu comes up. Awesome!!!!"

This sounds like some experimental thing that Bill Gates demoed at CES 2008. Not that I actually watched it of course, I didn't stay up late and stop all my browsing so I can watch a live stream of Bill Gates' last CES keynote. Honestly, who would do that?

Collapse -
Camera demo

In reply to: Sounds familiar

Yea - Gates demoed it saying that it was a 'potential future technology' (something vague like that), but there are a few forums that think it's going to be in WM7. The feature looks incredible if it works (which I'm not sure it will), but I'm wondering what crazy amount of data that would require.

Collapse -
Windows Mobile 7 - the buzz

OK it seams interesting But do you know that HTC Touch Diamond is $700 dollars.

Collapse -
(NT) sounds about right. remember N95? iphone? hehe.

Collapse -
Comparing locked to unlocked prices

The "no commitment" price for the iPhone is $500 and $600, and thats not even unlocked, and the actual unlocked price in France is $750 and $900.

When the Touch Diamond gets released on Sprint its very likely also to cost on $200, like the Telus version in Canada is costing.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.