The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

"Windows Mobile 6 feature support" is Vista only?

by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2008 4:48 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Windows Mobile 6 feature support" is Vista only?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Windows Mobile 6 feature support" is Vista only?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
XP is already 7 years old...
by Nicholas Buenk / November 25, 2008 6:42 AM PST

How long do you expect people to be using it?

Collapse -
another 10 years?
by mementh / November 25, 2008 7:06 AM PST

seriously what does vista give that is NEEDED.. what revolution does vista offer that can't already be done in XP...

Our society is built on this ideal that you have to replace every few years because it breaks down because it was PLANNED TO....

XP should not need replacing untill there is something that can't be done in XP that can only be done in a new OS..

And honestly if it can be done in a new OS it can be done in XP...

Sheesh.. we need a John Carter and William Redman Carter so bad in our society.

Collapse -
by mementh / November 25, 2008 7:35 AM PST
In reply to: another 10 years?

I consider windows 7 still a "update" to windows XP only because the code is only gettign tighter.

Re-write everything from scratch or throw out most of the code base and tighten the rest and I can consider paying for a new version..

Just my $.04 with rant

Collapse -
by Nicholas Buenk / November 25, 2008 10:40 AM PST
In reply to: another 10 years?

Let's see, security, desktop search and a 3rd generation graphics subsystem (ie double buffering with 3D hardware acceleration)
Too bad, they left the actual UI changes to windows 7.
Well, to be frank I use XP anyway fewer compatibility problems it is less trouble, but I think vista was quiet an improvement and I don't expect that XP should keep being supported, it's not only old in years but in design too.

Collapse -
Hi Nicholas,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2008 10:49 AM PST

We are still using many many too many Windows 2000 machines to run test equipment and perform the mundane things like business email, Word, Excel without any fuss.

Collapse -
Why do you need desktop ActiveSync?
by HBeaker / November 25, 2008 10:37 PM PST

Just a sidenote. I happened to accidentally wipe my WM6.1 phone about a week ago, and I haven't plugged it in to my Vista machine yet. In my case, I've found there's no need.

I sync with Exchange - which gets everything over the carrier's network. I installed some 3rd-party software via .cab files on the micro-SD card, and some I downloaded from the device's internal browser. My device is fully functional where I want it to be, without running the desktop version of ActiveSync at all.

So, while I am certain *some* 3rd-party software can only be installed via desktop ActiveSync, and *some* information can only be synced via desktop ActiveSync, it seems more-and-more this is becoming unnecessary. I'd rather Microsoft focus on working with the carriers (and developers, developers, developers) to get the last remaining items able to sync over-the-air than to have them focus on backwards compatibility with XP. Then, you can run Linux, MacOS, or whatever tickles your fancy and still benefit from a rich sync.

Clearly, this requires Exchange to sync calendar, contacts, tasks, and notes -- but you can access several (I think up to 6) POP or IMAP mailboxes, as well.

Collapse -
Read my posts but here's the deal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2008 10:50 PM PST

We are porting our applications from the other PDA os to WM.

So far it's going quite well but given it's our applications we'll do whatever it takes to make this work. However that nugget about Vista and WM 6.x feature support had taken me by surprise.

-> Do you think Microsoft is pressing the issue of getting corporate America (and the world) to adopt Vista?

Collapse -
Sorry to sideline....
by HBeaker / November 25, 2008 11:02 PM PST

I agree with you it is surprising, especially since WM6.0 is supported with ActiveSync 4.5 on XP. I would expect any "dot-release" would continue to be supported.

It is unusual for any vendor to change their support position so dramatically for a minor release. If they would have said WM6.0 is no longer supported on XP, I would understand. But to start at WM6.1 is certainly strange.

Sorry to sideline with my earlier post -- I simply found it interesting how in my personal case I have found no need to sync with the desktop at all, though I completely understand that in several cases (such as your own) it is necessary.

Collapse -
"Unintentional consequences."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2008 11:18 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry to sideline....

Just to be completely open about this. The company IT is the group that is pushing for a change to WM 6.1 and this Vista item looks to have "Unintentional consequences."

While I can't get a straight answer why the next PDA+phone must be WM 6.1 my bet is it's someone wanting the company to foot the bill for phones like the HTC and other nice phones. But that's just me wondering out loud.

None of them have addressed the Vista requisite yet. But you bet they will soon. It took some digging to figure this out so I share here so others don't get burned or surprised.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?