Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows messenger vs MSN messenger

by luckylady_63 / December 15, 2004 3:45 AM PST

Do these two programs do the same thing? Do I need both on my computer, or does one have an advantage over the other one? I would very much like to know. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows messenger vs MSN messenger
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows messenger vs MSN messenger
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pretty sure..
by radean / December 15, 2004 4:13 AM PST

Windows Messenger is for sending Admin messages to computers on your network. Not needed in most cases.
MSN Messenger is a "chat", IM thing, used on MS Network.
I have both disabled here, as have no use for them. Will have decide for yourself if you think you want them.

Collapse -
You don't 'need' either but...
by Edward ODaniel / December 15, 2004 5:17 AM PST

take a look here to see which is best for your purposes (many helpful links).

This link gets into the differences between the two but essentially Windows Messenger is the default and native messenger program while MSN Messenger does the same thing but adds a lot of "bells and whistles".

It doesn't hurt at all to have both.

PS - What Ray referenced was the Windows Messenger Service that is handy on networks for sending net messages to users. The Service has nothing to do with either instant messaging interface you mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Edward it took me so long to put my
by roddy32 / December 15, 2004 5:53 AM PST

explanation together that you posted one while I was doing mine but the end result was the same LOL.

Collapse -
Ray and Lucky Lady
by roddy32 / December 15, 2004 5:46 AM PST

Microsoft has once again confused things. There are TWO Windows Messengers PLUS MSN Messenger. ONE of the Windows Messengers (Which I believe is only is XP) IS a chat service but does not have as many options as MSN Messenger does, the other is an Admin Service like you are saying Ray. Lavasoft (The Ad-Aware) people have plug-ins available for Ad-Aware SE that will block BOTH of the Windows Messengers from enabling (sometimes disabling them in the regular options from Microsoft does not work) BUT they are two seperate plug-ins. These two paragraphs (bold) are just the beginning of how Lavasoft describes the Admin one. Which they call. "Messenger Control"

"Beginning with Windows NT, Microsoft included the Windows Messenger Service, and it's been built-in to each subsequent version and release of Windows over the past several years. It was originally designed to allow system administrators on client-server networks to send out brief system-wide messages to everyone connected to the network. For the most part, it's never gained much use since there are easier alternatives to sending such messages.

It is being put to use however, by those who know that this Service is turned on by default in all current versions of Windows. If you've been connected to the Internet and suddenly see a window pop-up filled with information about the latest "get-rich-scheme," a college diploma, or low-rate credit cards, you're being spammed courtesy of Windows Messenger Service! Note that these are not browser windows, but resemble Windows Dialog boxes (with "Messenger Service" in the title bar), with the exception that you're generally offered no "options" besides clicking an "OK" button."

This is what Lavasoft says (bold) about the other one Windows Messenger which IS an instant messenger service which is supposed to open when Outloot Express opens ONLY on XP but it does NOT always work that way. Lavasoft calls that one "OE/W Messenger".

"Disable Windows Messenger From Appearing When You Open Outlook Express

Many users opt not to use Microsoft Windows Messenger for their instant messenger program. Despite the fact that Microsoft Windows XP users have turned off the auto-start feature of Windows Messenger, it continues to open when Microsoft Outlook Express is use.

It should be noted that this only occurs on systems running Microsoft Windows XP. Other versions of Microsoft Windows do not experience this.

If you have disabled Windows Messenger's auto-start function, and you'd like it to remain closed while using Outlook Express, we have created an add-on which will allow you to prevent Windows Messenger from starting when Outlook Express launches. The add-on allows you to switch between disabling and enabling Windows Messenger's auto-launch status when opening Outlook Express. When Windows Messenger is disabled, you may also notice faster load times when opening Outlook Express."

Hopefully that will explain things for you OR confuse everybody more than they already were. LOL.

As far as answering your question about which of the INSTANT messenger services are better, between the two Microsoft ones LuckyLady, MSN Messenger is better but there are also many other alternatives to both, such as ICQ, AIM, Yahoo Messenger, Trillion just to mention a few. I hope this has helped in some small way. Grin

Collapse -
Thank you Roddy..
by radean / December 15, 2004 7:04 AM PST
In reply to: Ray and Lucky Lady

Had no idea about 2 Windows Messengers. Sorry if I gave Luckylady the wrong info, but still IMHO, get rid of that. (Those) Happy

Collapse -
I agree Ray and
by roddy32 / December 15, 2004 7:45 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you Roddy..

very few people realize that Microsoft has 2 different things called the same thing LOL. WHY they would do that, I have no clue. LOL In NO WAY is it YOUR fault that you didn't know. I have the plug-ins for BOTH Microsoft Windows Messengers from Lavasoft enabled which disables both messengers. . I DO have MSN Messenger installed but I only use it for emergenies with a few friends and my family occasionally because we live all over the place.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?