Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER10...CONVERTING TO CD FILES TO PDA

by yaffe / September 18, 2005 4:56 AM PDT

I HAVE A NEWER DELL DESKTOP WITH WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER 10 AND AND A DELL AXIM50 PDA WITH WINDOWS MOBILE 10. AFTER READING TONS OF INFO ON BOTH....I AM STILL CONFUSED. SINCE WMP10 CONTAINS CODECS, DOES THIS MEAN IT WILL CONVERT MY SONGS ON CD INTO WMA OR MP3 FILES(COMPRESS THEM) AND THEN LET ME DOWNLOAD THEM INTO MY DELL PDA WHILE COMPRESSED, SO I CAN LOAD LOTS OF MUSIC? OR DO I NEED A SPECIAL PROGRAM TO DO THIS. MY "EXPERT" SON IN LAW....WHO DOES NOT HAVE WINDOWS MEDIA PAYER 10 DOES NOT THINK SO. ANYBODY...PLEASE HELP THIS NOVICE.
THANK YOU

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER10...CONVERTING TO CD FILES TO PDA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER10...CONVERTING TO CD FILES TO PDA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PDA help
by gcl915 / September 18, 2005 6:03 AM PDT

Hey there,

To start off, I have a PDA myself (IPAQ) and always copy mp3's from my computer to the PDA.

You mentioned Windows Media Player on your computer and the same on your PDA. You do not need to use either one.

Basically here is what you do:

To convert files from Music CD to an MP3, you need a converter. A very good program to do that is called CDEX. CNET's download.com has it:

http://www.download.com/CDex/3000-2140_4-10226370.html?tag=lst-0-1

Then once you install the program and convert your *.cda (cd files) to MP3 you can simply drag them to your Pocket PC via ActiveSync.

When you insert your PDA into the charging cradle, ActiveSync should find it and put up an icon in My Computer.

It will be probably called Mobile Device. Double click on that and you will be seeing your pda's hard drive (or memory card). I would highly suggest actually using the memory card because you can fit a LOT of music there.

Simply locate the songs that you just converted into MP3 format, select all of them (ctrl+A), press COPY (ctrl+C), go to your PDA'S memory (or storage card) as described above, and paste (ctrl+V). You can then play the songs using your Windows Media Player or any other mp3 player.

I use the PocketMusic player from pocketgear.com

http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=17133

FYI, the "codecs" you were talking about are basically like translators for different file encoders that are used today. For example, one of the most popular ones is the DivX codec, which is used to read video files. The DivX Encoder compresses the video to a much smaller size then the Codec is used to "uncompress" the file and read it.

Hope this helps, sorry for the long post Happy

Let me know how it turns out

Collapse -
pda help
by yaffe / September 18, 2005 7:50 AM PDT
In reply to: PDA help

Now I am really confused. The info given by microsoft re:media player10 indicates that it not only encodes the cd so you can play it in wma or mp3, but compresses it to file and transfer to the pda.

Collapse -
Regarding WMP
by gcl915 / September 18, 2005 7:59 AM PDT
In reply to: pda help

Yes, it can do it FOR you...but you are better off doing what I described above

Collapse -
Reagrding WMP
by yaffe / September 18, 2005 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Regarding WMP

Thank you

Collapse -
Please don't yell.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2005 6:58 AM PDT

All capital letter posts with one paragraph are hard to read.

Collapse -
PLEASE DON'T YELL
by yaffe / September 18, 2005 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Please don't yell.

Sorry....do you have an answer?

Collapse -
Maybe if ..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2005 8:22 AM PDT
In reply to: PLEASE DON'T YELL

There was a proper post. All capital letter posts are much like yelling. Please try a proper post.

Bob

Collapse -
YELLING
by yaffe / September 18, 2005 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe if ..

THERE ARE NO FORUM POLICIES INDICATING THE USE OF CAPITAL LETTERS....IF YOU ARE OFFENDED PLEASE DO NOT REPLY.
MOST PEOPLE CAN READ EITHER, AND IT IS NOT MY INTENTION TO OFFEND. IF YOU ARE, SO BE IT.

Collapse -
Your choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2005 10:15 AM PDT
In reply to: YELLING

With that, you may not get very kind responses.

If you want help, follow the written and those unwritten rules.

Bob

Collapse -
some help on mp3 players please!
by panos05 / October 8, 2005 9:51 PM PDT

hi guys

newbie on mp3's, so want some help without sacrificing your time...i'm after a middle category player with the following specs:
-approx 5-6gb storage(minidrive, flash,other?)

-good sound quality

-maybe optional fm, recorder, recording from legacy devices ie vinyl, hi fi...got a psychedelic vinyl collection i would really like to have it on the go

-compatibility with windows media player+/- real one

-sync with these players from laptop following ripping regular audio cds in their libraries

-...r there mp3's with sd cards?

-good build

i would really appreciate your expert advice

thanx

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!